Why can't you use flashes in museums?

9 years 7 months ago #403197 by Ryan711
I enjoy museums and never understood why you can't use flashes?  Why is that? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #403219 by Stealthy Ninja
people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/musphoto/flashphoto2.htm

Multiple possible reasons.
  1. Could be they want you to buy posters and postcards.
  2. They could know flashes bouncing off glass will look stupid.
  3. They could believe that flashes will hurt the artwork (this is usually not true, but this myth continues)
  4. They could not want to disturb the atmosphere/people with flashes going off all the time (personally I think this is the best reason, if I were enjoying some art I'd be mad if someone was shooting of their flash all the time).
  5. They could have already paid for the "No Flash Photography" sign and couldn't be bothered wasting it.
9 years 7 months ago #403234 by Tuscan Muse
There have been tests done that show that flashes do not actually harm the pigment in paintings, but the belief has been held so long that you are not going to get the curators of museums to change their minds. You cannot take a picture of Michelangelo's David.  How in the world would a flash harm marble?   This is true in most museums across the globe.  

One of the main reasons that they don't allow photography in museums at all is to keep the crowds moving.
9 years 7 months ago #403250 by garyrhook
SN's link is a good reference.

Mostly I think it's because of the persistence of the myth of flash. I ran into this in an old victorian house turned museum in Portland, ME. One of the docents in another house said that they allow it during Christmas, and it really slows down pedestrian traffic. So I'll go with #3 and #4. As for selling material, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

The museum here in town allows non-flash photography except for any temporary exhibit. With a good camera and lens that's not a problem.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403316 by Roy Wilson

garyrhook wrote: SN's link is a good reference.

Mostly I think it's because of the persistence of the myth of flash. I ran into this in an old victorian house turned museum in Portland, ME. One of the docents in another house said that they allow it during Christmas, and it really slows down pedestrian traffic. So I'll go with #3 and #4. As for selling material, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

The museum here in town allows non-flash photography except for any temporary exhibit. With a good camera and lens that's not a problem.

:agree:        wishy washy, if you ask me

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403360 by Baydream
I'm going with Ninja's #1 and #4. There is money in those good shots and people are usually there for relaxing views. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403375 by ubookoo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/musphoto/flashphoto2.htm

They could have already paid for the "No Flash Photography" sign and couldn't be bothered wasting it.

Too Funny!!

9 years 7 months ago #403377 by Screamin Scott
Copyright protection in some cases....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403401 by Joves
Perhaps the flash will harm works of art got started in the flash powder days. So they just choose to say that is the case. I think it is most likely to not disturb others enjoying the art, and the over all atmosphere. But do you really need a flash if you have one of the newer camera models? This is why the camera Gods created High ISO. :P

9 years 7 months ago #403435 by Ryan Obryan
Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403443 by garyrhook

Ryan Obryan wrote: Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Um, no, incorrect.

Copyright applies to more recent works of art, and gives the creator of the piece complete control over what can and can't be done with their work. That's applicable to many a museum. It's not nearly as silly as your statement. Please consider learning about copyright laws here and abroad lest you inadvertently violate them because you think consideration of them "silly".

You might also read the (yes, rather long) article that Stealthy links to. It's a pretty exhaustive investigation into the myth of flash, and very informative (if a bit dry and overly wordy). The light from a flash does not fade the art, and is wholly irrelevant for sculpture and modern art.

It would be nice if the museums would just say, "no flash photography because it's darned annoying to the other patrons." That should be reason enough.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403529 by Foxy Girl
Interesting thread, good to know

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403531 by Ryan Obryan

garyrhook wrote:

Ryan Obryan wrote: Copyright?  That's a silly one (not doubting you, just saying).  I thought it was because the light will fade the art.

Um, no, incorrect.

Copyright applies to more recent works of art, and gives the creator of the piece complete control over what can and can't be done with their work. That's applicable to many a museum. It's not nearly as silly as your statement. Please consider learning about copyright laws here and abroad lest you inadvertently violate them because you think consideration of them "silly".

You might also read the (yes, rather long) article that Stealthy links to. It's a pretty exhaustive investigation into the myth of flash, and very informative (if a bit dry and overly wordy). The light from a flash does not fade the art, and is wholly irrelevant for sculpture and modern art.

It would be nice if the museums would just say, "no flash photography because it's darned annoying to the other patrons." That should be reason enough.

Aren't we delightful. ;)   Your right, using a flash is about retaining copyright.  Because when you don't use flash, it's a completely different story.   :rofl:

I'm not trying to be an a$$, just a few basic thoughts.  I guess it's good that I don't normally go photographing stuff like this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403584 by ShutterGuy
It's a conspiracy! 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403588 by garyrhook

Ryan Obryan wrote: I'm not trying to be an a$$

Neither am I. I was attempting to add to the discussion aspects that had not heretofore been addressed, to clarify, and provide additional information.

My point about modern art was to emphasize the idea that, if it were really about "fading the paint" there would not be a restriction on using flash to photograph sculpture.  Yet there is. I think the museums (happily) conflate the issue to attempt to explain a position that they should not need to explain. Thus: "Photographic flash annoys other people. Don't do that."

My other point about copyright has to do with it's relevance for newer art, but that's about photorgraphy, period, not just flash. It's an important point, but somewhat orthogonal to the discussion of flash. I read your post (above) and interpreted it as dismissive. If I misunderstood, please forgive me.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024