Flashpowder - old school way of flash?

9 years 7 months ago #403689 by ArtWagner
Back in the day to create a flash if I'm looking at this correctly was done with a number of different chemical mixtures.  I'd like to try this and was wondering which is generally the more common or safe approach with back in the day photography:  A mixture of potassium nitrate and aluminum power and sulfur (5,3, and 2 parts)  OR a 50-50 mixture of magnesium powder and potassium nitrate.

Thanks in advance

Art

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403706 by Allen D
Sounds like a fire hazard to me, I'd be super careful and not mix this in your home. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403709 by ShutterPal
I'll bite, how do you control something like that?  Or shall I say set up?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403722 by Frisco

Allen D wrote: Sounds like a fire hazard to me, I'd be super careful and not mix this in your home. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Be careful here.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403737 by Tim Chiang
What are you trying to do here? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403843 by TedReichner
That's rather adventurous.  Not sure I would want to mess around with old chemical process.  I'm not help, be careful.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403990 by Joves
Neither way is any safer than the other. They are both merely loose explosions on a metal bar. If I remember correctly the magnesium mix was brighter, but it has a tendency to burn hotter because of the magnesium. Either will burn you, and many photographers did get burned using both mixes. The sulfur mix just smells plain nasty. If you choose to try it, do it outside over a dirt area. You pile it on a piece of angle iron, and put some for of reflective metal behind it. There is a reason that as soon as they made viable bulbs the practice was dropped. Also many of the early bulbs were string filaments coated with the magnesium mix.

9 years 7 months ago #404035 by Adam Nagle
:agree: ddefinitely an outdoor project

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404193 by Ben Vanderbilt
Is this for a project or just for the heck of it? 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404300 by Joves

Geospiri wrote:

Joves wrote: Neither way is any safer than the other. They are both merely loose explosions on a metal bar. If I remember correctly the magnesium mix was brighter, but it has a tendency to burn hotter because of the magnesium. Either will burn you, and many photographers did get burned using both mixes. The sulfur mix just smells plain nasty. If you choose to try it, do it outside over a dirt area. You pile it on a piece of angle iron, and put some for of reflective metal behind it. There is a reason that as soon as they made viable bulbs the practice was dropped. Also many of the early bulbs were string filaments coated with the magnesium mix.

from my experience with very early and large mag bulbs.. ( 1 shot) ... they have a fairly long burn time which was needed due to the slow film used and coated glass negs were very slow so for flash pwder the sulphur was added to slow the burn down a bit

Yeah my old Speeds flash used those, and I burned my finger tips more than a couple of times on them.

9 years 7 months ago #404420 by ArtWagner
Hey thanks guys, honestly I'm just looking for a fun project and this is something really out there!

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404433 by icepics
Seems like Joves knows his stuff. I found something on a couple of sites I've used before, sounds like it wasn't exactly safe in its day and if nothing else put out a roomful of smoke.

http://earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_M42.html  

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Flash_History.html

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404438 by McBeth Photography
No wonder they won't let a person use flash in museums! ;)  

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024