How would you license these images?

9 years 7 months ago #403700 by Tim Dordeck
I just got a call from the best man of a groom to be, to shoot their upcoming bachelor weekend party in Atlantic City.  From what I gathered, I'll be following a group of 17 guys around Atlantic City for two nights and three days - Friday - Sunday late morning.  They are after a combination of photos and video.  They are wanting photos and video of all their "activities" from the entire weekend.  Which as I have been warned may result in some very late night too potentially all nighters.  

Apparently on Saturday night they are working with an event organizer who has requested usage of the photos from the evening.  The event organizer usually uses their own photographer, but how they have things set up, I'll be the only photographer there.  The event organizer will use the photos also for their promotional use on their website.  

Well that was a mouth full.  So, how would you price this and better yet, set up the licensing for the event coordinator?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403702 by garyrhook
Time + expenses. You need to have some idea of your hourly rate, as well as your half-day rate and daily rate.

I don't know what you normally charge, nor your skill set, but $2000 / day would not be out of line for someone with skill. And that would be the low end, IMO. I would probably quote north of $3K per day. Likely a $10K weekend. Plus expenses.

I'm willing to bet the best man really has no idea of the expense for what he is asking. If he does, more power to you.

As for licensing, it depends upon how the organizer intends to use the image. But an image on a website won't get you near what you think it would. Perhaps $100 for 3 months or so? I'm not really sure, no one ever wants to talk about this with hard numbers (I guess it's a big freakin' secret?). Mostly you'll get "it depends." Like that's helpful.

Good luck.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403708 by Tim Dordeck
Hi Gary,

Thank you for taking the time with your answer.  Your answer confirmed one thought, which was that I was thinking about charging $2500 per day.  Which happens to be middle of the figures you presented.  I'd love to charge more than $3000 per day, but feel better with my skill set at $2500.  As for the licensing figure of $100, your right, not what I would have expect.  But green is green these days. 

Again, thank you!

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #403866 by garyrhook
You're very welcome; I hope it works out for you. Please keep us posted as to how events transpire (especially with the organizer, which I think has broad appeal).

And as I was writing another (long-winded) post on another thread, I remembered that you can go to Getty / Shutterstock / etc to price out the use of an image. That will get you in the ballpark for licensing.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404002 by Joves
:agree:
As Gary stated the hundred is for a limited use agreement, in this case a time limit. You will need a signed contract with the organizer as well clearly stating whatever you agree to. If they want unlimited usage, or perpetual, then it will cost them more. If they do not like it, then tell them to get their own shooter, but that theirs needs to stay out of your way since you are the primary.

9 years 7 months ago #404125 by Ben Vanderbilt
Now this sounds like a fun job!  Look likes you got some good advice already.  Have fun on this one!

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404266 by Josh Jofoto
I'm going to agree with Gary on the licensing fee's for this as well as a job like this and considering, you may be up and taking photos for a very long time following around a bunch of drunk never ready for sleep bachelors.  So, I wouldn't charge anything less than $3000 per day as well. 

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
9 years 7 months ago #404341 by Tim Dordeck
Hey thanks guys! 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404494 by Rawley Photos

Joves wrote: :agree:
As Gary stated the hundred is for a limited use agreement, in this case a time limit. You will need a signed contract with the organizer as well clearly stating whatever you agree to. If they want unlimited usage, or perpetual, then it will cost them more. If they do not like it, then tell them to get their own shooter, but that theirs needs to stay out of your way since you are the primary.

+1

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404681 by Vincent
Something tells me you'll want to get a surplus of rest before you start that weekend up.  I remember my bachelor party and it was a long weekend!  

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024