How are you telling your portrait subjects not to give the DUCK face?

9 years 7 months ago #403860 by digitalpimp
I had a client today who just didn't get it.  She kept giving this ridiculous duck face.  It was completely different from her normal facial expression.  As soon as the camera came out and she knew it was photo time, her lips and facial expression was night and day over kill duck face on roids!  When I told her bright smile please, she seriously reminded me of SNL! 

Seriously it was like this

OK so how do you tell someone that is normally beautiful, to look normal?  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #403864 by garyrhook
"Please don't do that."

"Don't do that. The camera doesn't love it."

"Seriously, relax. We're not going to posture for the camera, and we're certainly not going to have the duck lips."

I'm honest. I laugh to make light of it, and point out that it's just not attractive.

And it's not attractive for the women, either. :whistle:

Then focus on a shot with no smile. We spend so little of our time smiling, I no longer get this emphasis on smiling. I'm moving away from it.

Your job is to engage your client, to get them comfortable, relaxed, and natural. It's hard. I have decided to give up on "okay, smile" because it just doesn't work. You'll have to learn how to coax out of your subject what you want.

Good luck.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403901 by Moossmann
Have her look at her self in a mirror to see what she was doing.  Plus what Gary said.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403993 by Cory J
I opened this to see what you were talking about and that is funny stuff! 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #403996 by Joves
Gary gave you the best advice. This is why I would not be in the portrait business for too long, because I would tell them that it made them look like a Backpage hooker. 

9 years 7 months ago #404046 by MYoung

Joves wrote: Gary gave you the best advice. This is why I would not be in the portrait business for too long, because I would tell them that it made them look like a Backpage hooker. 

Oh you are so bad!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404049 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: Gary gave you the best advice. This is why I would not be in the portrait business for too long, because I would tell them that it made them look like a Backpage hooker. 

Well, no, that would not be very politic. It's okay to think it, but not say it.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404061 by Stealthy Ninja
Get her to laugh maybe?
9 years 7 months ago #404072 by Roblane

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Get her to laugh maybe?

:agree: and have your finger on the shutter to capture that moment she is off guard.  

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404139 by Leilanee
I literally say "You're duckfacing, stop it" (although the politeness varies based on how well I know them).
And, yeah, the laughing thing.

9 years 7 months ago #404140 by Leilanee

garyrhook wrote: Then focus on a shot with no smile. We spend so little of our time smiling, I no longer get this emphasis on smiling. I'm moving away from it.

Atta boy.  I've always found going with straight face, or a real laugh, creates more "authenticity" in the photo.  The problem is people who are so used to having their photo taken that they default to the stiff look-straight-at-the-camera-and-smile thing.  That's hard to get around, for me at least.  Saying "Stop smiling, it looks stupid" just makes you look like a grumpy drag.

9 years 7 months ago #404181 by digitalpimp
You guys and gals are great.  I'm going to try this next time.  Boy, I'm still chuckling with frustration about this last client.  Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404203 by Ottis

Leilanee wrote: I literally say "You're duckfacing, stop it" (although the politeness varies based on how well I know them).
And, yeah, the laughing thing.

Pretty much what I would say to the person too

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404280 by Robert Chen
I'll show them the picture directly after taking it, so that they can see how they look.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404284 by garyrhook

Robert Chen wrote: I'll show them the picture directly after taking it, so that they can see how they look.  

Yeah, that's not going to work with people who already think it's attractive.

It really comes down to learning to manage and direct your subject, duck-lips or not.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024