"Kay your camera takes great photos..."

9 years 6 months ago #404793 by Kay Baker
:blink:   Okay, I'm sure we all have heard this many times, where others are presumptuous in their opinion of what goes behind a good photo.  In fact that the camera has in some cases, very little to do with a quality photo.  Well try explaining that to a non-photographer.  

Really though, how do you explain that one to someone?  If you haven't picked up in my tone, this was said to me today.  Yet, again.  :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404801 by ThatNikonGuy
"Why thank you, it does!"  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404803 by garyrhook
Clearly, there are a number of ways you can go here. One of which is to take it as a compliment and reply with "thank you." They're doing the best they can with their ignorance (i.e. lack of understanding of what's really involved).

You could also just sort of cock your head and stare at them for a moment, then say, innocently, "I don't understand what that means." That would be rather off-putting and would probably result in a lot of back-pedalig and hemming and hawing.

You might simply state, "this particular model is an excellent tool and helps me translate what I see into images. I rather enjoy it using it to do my work."

A lot may depend upon how much you want to tweak someone.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404807 by Randy Shaw
+1 Simple thanks, yes it sure does 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404893 by Joves
I usually just say it helps me to take great photos, and thank them for the compliment.
Or you could.........

9 years 6 months ago #404905 by W Cage

Joves wrote: I usually just say it helps me to take great photos, and thank them for the compliment.
Or you could.........

LMAO!!!  So true

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404985 by Finn
Ah yes, why it does :rofl:   

Strangely enough, the only time I recall hearing this was when I was just getting started in photography and it was a point and shoot camera.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405012 by ubookoo
Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

Just say "Thank You" .... and then offer to sell them the camera! :-)

9 years 6 months ago #405059 by Kelly Lambert
Mine does! :nunu: :rofl:

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405120 by Tim Dordeck

ubookoo wrote: Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

Just say "Thank You" .... and then offer to sell them the camera! :-)

LMAO!!!! 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubookoo
9 years 6 months ago #405221 by Uplander
Some people just don't get it.  Well,if that is what they think, then that is what they will think! 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405265 by Tuscan Muse
I say, "Thank you.  I taught it everything it knows!"
9 years 6 months ago #405328 by Don Fischer
Only remember it happening one time. I was looking at some enlargement's I'd had done, film days, and some lady looking over my shoulder told me my camera certainly takes nice photo's. I thanked her. She didn't mean to be ignorant! Those same photo's shown to someone that understands photography better probably would have been torn apart, then I'd feel like shite! The lady did me a favor!

9 years 6 months ago #405333 by Joves

ubookoo wrote: Kind of like telling a carpenter that his hammer builds beautiful houses.

:judge:
While I do agree with that analogy to some extent, the problem is that people do not see them as having the same skill set. We know that getting good photos takes skill, the problem is anyone can click a shutter, and take a photograph. With many people they know they know nothing about home building. While they can all use a hammer, they do not know what to do past striking something. Cameras are far too easy to use, it does not mean that they will all produce great images, it just means they are simple to operate to get any photo. And that is why most people do not equate the photo to the photographers skill, as opposed to the equipment.

9 years 6 months ago #405482 by Stealthy Ninja
Go to eat at their house and say at the end: "Your pots and pans make a really nice meal".

Seriously though, when my sister-in-law asking me which camera she should buy to be able to take photos like me, I told her it's the skill of the photographer, not the camera that makes a difference. She understood.

Basically they don't know any better.

Man, my keyboard made a really nice reply didn't it?!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024