Minimum FPS for sports and wildlife photography

9 years 4 months ago #414265 by Sean Lewitts
I hope I don't get hung for this question.  But let's say someone wanted to get serious in sports and wildlife photography, what is the minimum FPS their camera should have?  

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #414266 by Stealthy Ninja
One.

It's not about the FPS (though that can be handy) it's about timing.

That said, I'd go for at least 6.  People tend to run in rhythm with about 4fps and if you shoot someone at 4fps or lower all your running shots will have the same/similar pose.  More on that here:

www.aidavproductions.com/articles/D800sports.html

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (from the above article):

Having a couple of extra frames between can give you some different pose choices.
9 years 4 months ago #414269 by Sean Lewitts
Point taken and appreciated.  

9 years 4 months ago #414313 by J Hemingway
5fps should be enough for just about anything you want to do.  Unless you want to to go with the Canon 1Dx, which has what something like 11fps?  :drool:

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #414405 by Don Fischer
I have this feeling that the more FPS the camera shoot's, the faster the camera focus's. That might be wrong, I'm not sure. To get the most good photo's from action I'd nave try to time the shot. Problem is that buy the time your mind say's push the release, the shot is past. Doing dog's I look for dogs going into a cover that might produce a good shot and start shooting in multi servo at some point before the dog get's there. take a series of maybe four shots and pick out the one's I like best, delete the rest. The position's that moving object's are in last a very very short time. Other than pure luck, you cannot time this shot. Your will either be to fast or more likely, to slow.  If the subject is moving start to shoot early and stay late! 

img\def

9 years 4 months ago #414433 by shelland

J Hemingway wrote: 5fps should be enough for just about anything you want to do.  Unless you want to to go with the Canon 1Dx, which has what something like 11fps?  :drool:

The 7D mk II has 10 fps. (for nearly $5,000 less)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #414446 by Stealthy Ninja

J Hemingway wrote: 5fps should be enough for just about anything you want to do.  Unless you want to to go with the Canon 1Dx, which has what something like 11fps?  :drool:

12fps.   Shooting full RAW too.  Sounds like a machine gun (you can shoot 14fps if you shoot jpeg and lock up the mirror, but I've never bothered). One time my shooting partner (who also shoots 1Dx) and I had to take a group shot.  In order to get everyone laughing/smiling we both shot 12fps at the same time.  Sounded like a war.

shelland wrote:

The 7D mk II has 10 fps. (for nearly $5,000 less)

That is true.    If you want the extra reach it's a pretty good option. Of course you loose the benefits of full frame, but for sports that may not matter.

Video that shows (well it's more about the sound) 12fps/14fps/10fps/6fps

9 years 4 months ago #414452 by Don Fischer
 nephew of mine has the 1Dx and I haven't heard it go off. Closest thing I've heard is my Nikon F5. Sounds like a machine gun going off! If I remember right it was 8 fps. Good thing about digital, you only need to keep the one's you like and delete the rest!

9 years 4 months ago #414491 by Miss Polly

Don Fischer wrote: I have this feeling that the more FPS the camera shoot's, the faster the camera focus's. That might be wrong, I'm not sure. To get the most good photo's from action I'd nave try to time the shot. Problem is that buy the time your mind say's push the release, the shot is past. Doing dog's I look for dogs going into a cover that might produce a good shot and start shooting in multi servo at some point before the dog get's there. take a series of maybe four shots and pick out the one's I like best, delete the rest. The position's that moving object's are in last a very very short time. Other than pure luck, you cannot time this shot. Your will either be to fast or more likely, to slow.  If the subject is moving start to shoot early and stay late! 

img\def

Such a cutey!  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #414589 by Randy Shaw
Most of what you would be shooting can be done easily with 5-6 fps

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #414591 by icepics
I've done a lot of hockey, you don't necessarily need it for sports. Shooting sports is about knowing the sport and the timing, if you're going to use this it's a matter of knowing how and when to use it. Whatever you use you need to learn how to shoot sports, otherwise this could be just sprayin' and prayin'.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #414598 by Joves
Well using the back focus button I can squeeze them off fast with the button in single shot. I do not shoot sports ever. Most of mine have been like running antelope, coyotes, and the sort. I think being able to pan well is more important than anything else. That and using the 51 point 3D tracking on my D300. 

9 years 4 months ago #414703 by TGonzo
:agree: good post guys 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024