Professional photographers are nearly all men?

9 years 5 months ago #414679 by Jessa Layton
Aside from Cindy Sherman, Annie Leibovitz, Helen Levitt and Jasmine Star, I don't know of to many famous professional photographers.  It seems it's always the guys who make the top of the list.  Perhaps I haven't really fully explored this topic deep enough, however from the surface level it seems this way.  

Do you agree? 

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414690 by Don Fischer
I believe you could say that about most profession's. Reason I think that is there are more men in the work force than women! And then when time for a family come's around, the woman become's a mom and the man support's the family, well in an ideal situation. There is no reason why a woman can't be as successful in photography as a man.

9 years 5 months ago #414695 by garyrhook
Because I'm just in that kind of mood...

Don Fischer wrote: I believe you could say that about most professions. Reason I think that is there are more men in the work force than women! And then when time for a family comes around, the woman becomes a mom and the man supports the family, well in an ideal situation. There is no reason why a woman can't be as successful in photography as a man.

The 50s called, and they want their apostrophes back. An apostrophe denotes a possessive, not pluralization. Geez.

In general: OMG, I can only hope this was tongue-in-cheek.

Fact: there are now more women employed than men, at least in the US.

Your opinion: "a man supports the family." I don't even know where to begin with this.

Net: I'm not seeing how this was in any way helpful.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414697 by garyrhook

Jessa Layton wrote: Aside from Cindy Sherman, Annie Leibovitz, Helen Levitt and Jasmine Star, I don't know of to many famous professional photographers.  It seems it's always the guys who make the top of the list.  Perhaps I haven't really fully explored this topic deep enough, however from the surface level it seems this way.  

Do you agree? 

A) Absolutely not.
2) Define "fame".

What does being famous have to do with anything? It does not necessarily denote quality. And perhaps skill at marketing, or at finding a niche. Jasmine Star seems to think it's okay to take others' work, and Cindy Sherman... well, don't get me started on that merde.

There are lots of females out there doing great work. Go watch CreativeLive to see some of them. Oh, and they have men, too.

I don't think about gender when I look at work, but if it (gender) matters to you, I would definitely encourage you to explore further. It seems to me that by your own admission you don't have enough data yet.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414706 by effron
Its simply because men are stronger, and can carry those  heavy camera's and lense's around.  S'imply!.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414715 by Joves

effron wrote: Its simply because men are stronger, and can carry those  heavy camera's and lense's around.  S'imply!.....;)

:rofl: :agree:
Do you need help dragging that woman back to the cave by her hair?
There are quite a few professional women photographers out there. Just because you do not see them listed as famous means nothing. Most of the supposed famous photographers, while they did good work, had some good marketing behind them. That is whether it was some gallery types, or they actually understood self promotion, which most of the earlier did not. I have an aunt who shoots professionally for various magazines  and makes a good living at it.

9 years 5 months ago #414730 by icepics
Joves stop making me laugh!! there are

Seems like there have been more men than women photographers, although there were some well known women earlier in photography such as Dorothea Lange and Berenice Abbott. 

That seems to be the case with other types of jobs too, while there are some types of work that seem to be predominantly female. And what I got out of Don's comment was that he was describing how it's traditionally been, and as he said there's no reason a woman can't be a successful photographer. In general there didn't used to be as many women working in jobs outside the home in the past, much less as photographers.

Now of course there are a lot of opportunities that weren't necessarily readily available years ago. I've done local hockey and I don't think there are as many women sports photographers or writers but there's at least one other woman in my area that I know of who shoots local hockey. It all seems to keep changing over time.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414749 by Don Fischer

garyrhook wrote: Because I'm just in that kind of mood...

Don Fischer wrote: I believe you could say that about most professions. Reason I think that is there are more men in the work force than women! And then when time for a family comes around, the woman becomes a mom and the man supports the family, well in an ideal situation. There is no reason why a woman can't be as successful in photography as a man.

The 50s called, and they want their apostrophes back. An apostrophe denotes a possessive, not pluralization. Geez.

In general: OMG, I can only hope this was tongue-in-cheek.

Fact: there are now more women employed than men, at least in the US.

Your opinion: "a man supports the family." I don't even know where to begin with this.

Net: I'm not seeing how this was in any way helpful.

Don't know what to tell you. I was educated in the American school system. PE was my favorite subject! In my time it was called gym!

9 years 5 months ago #414766 by Foggy
I think if you dug more, you would find more woman professional photographers.  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414771 by effron

Foggy wrote: I think if you dug more, you would find more woman professional photographers.  

I hope Gary doesn't see this....You probably meant "women" photographers.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414788 by Foggy

effron wrote:

Foggy wrote: I think if you dug more, you would find more woman professional photographers.  

I hope Gary doesn't see this....You probably meant "women" photographers.......;)

LMAO  it was late and I had a few in me at the time!  :beerbang: :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414791 by Tim Burg
Don't forget Sally Mann  

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414809 by garyrhook

effron wrote:

:rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414843 by Roblane
Um, because guys like taking photos of girls

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #414920 by Joves

Roblane wrote: Um, because guys like taking photos of girls

:drool:
Especially at the beach, and other swimming holes.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024