Are you naming your photos?

9 years 4 months ago #417444 by Richard Taylor
I was reading the article here about Peter Lik selling that photo for $6.5 million called the "Phantom".  Then I jumped over to the article about the 19 most expensive photos sold.  Which BTW looks like it needs to be updated with Peter Lik's new shot.  

Anyway, I think I found the a pattern, and most likely the key to selling photos for millions as Lik, Gursky and Sherman are doing. 

It's because I don't name my photos!  "Phantom", "Rhein II", "Untitled #96".  I'm going to start naming my photos so I can cash in on this secret.  :whistle:  

Okay, seriously.  How many of you are naming your photos? 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #417475 by Hassner
 Only the ones I hang in galleries. And then you need to number them. /5, /10, /20, /50, /100, I've even seen /2500.
But then the price lowers a lot.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417567 by Soccer Mom
I don't have any hanging in formal galleries.  However I do have a few in my home and they do have names. 

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417580 by effron
Nope...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417606 by Joves
Why yes _DSC01111 and so on. I think that it is catchy names like that will sell my work. But seriously sometimes I will, but that is mostly because Windows makes me when I am putting some of them into a named folder, and the numbers repeat. As a general rule no though. Now if I was actually putting them up for sale then I most likely would. Then it would be Steamypoo#1 and so on.

9 years 4 months ago #417612 by hghlndr6
If it's for sale, for a show, for a competition, it gets a name.  Otherwise, they're all _DSCxxxx.
9 years 4 months ago #417622 by Happy-pixel
The only problem with names is that it compromises the flexibility of the person who is viewing the image.  They tend to view the image bias towards the name you gave the image.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417648 by stuartsbarbie
I do, just so I can look at just a file name and can figure out what it is without haveing to open everything

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417724 by Tim Chiang
Can't say I do, however would if published.  Perhaps that might be a goal for 2015.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417733 by garyrhook

Happy-pixel wrote: The only problem with names is that it compromises the flexibility of the person who is viewing the image.  They tend to view the image bias towards the name you gave the image.  

Or it sets the viewer's expectation and completes the experience. This is what happens in print competitions, and can elevate an otherwise mundane but technically excellent print to winner status.

Titles are required in print competitions.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417797 by Joe Peterson

garyrhook wrote:

Happy-pixel wrote: The only problem with names is that it compromises the flexibility of the person who is viewing the image.  They tend to view the image bias towards the name you gave the image.  

Or it sets the viewer's expectation and completes the experience. This is what happens in print competitions, and can elevate an otherwise mundane but technically excellent print to winner status.

+2

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #417800 by Shadowfixer1

It's the photographer's vision and idea that he is trying to get across. Some think it should be left up to the viewer but I disagree. The title may give the viewer an insight that they would have never thought of or been aware of. I name my images when put out for public consumption whether by print or online. 
9 years 4 months ago #417904 by Uplander
No, not really 

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #417946 by Allen D

garyrhook wrote:

Alternatively the name can be the weak link and leave the viewer wondering and focusing on other areas than the photo.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024