Gift registry for wedding photography?

9 years 3 months ago #420913 by MYoung
Morning everyone. 

I have a new bride and groom wanting to have a gift registry for their wedding photography. I've not done something like this before and trying to figure out the best way. I was thinking of setting up credits towards things.  Honestly I'm not sure how this will unfold.  Any suggestions?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420946 by effron
I don't get it. How does a gift registry pertain to the wedding photographer. Of course I'm somewhat thick headed these days.....:S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420960 by icepics
This is a new one... What comes to mind is some sort of gift certificate?? So the guest (friend/relative) can pay for the cost of a photo, album, etc. and give that as their shower or wedding gift. (I guess...) 

If that's it maybe have a gift certificate form (w/some sort of bridal decorative design to it?) that you can email to the person buying it, who can print and give to the b&g (or offer the option of mailing them a printed certificate??). Then you'd provide the actual photo/album after the wedding. (I say album too in case more than one person wanted to go in on a gift together, then put the charge on one of their credit cards.) Or maybe if you did them in various amounts then you'd take that prepaid amount off what you bill the b&g??

Seems like extra work so I'd think you'd probably need to figure out pricing for providing the service as well as options for the gift certificate amounts you'd make available. Maybe try websites for wedding photographers or PDN's annual bridal issue to see if anyone else is getting this request.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420965 by icepics
Was thinking, will this be more trouble that it's worth?? lol Or is it seriously a deal breaker? will they try elsewhere? I don't know, at what point do you say if something is not a service you provide or if something isn't do-able?

I wonder if this the latest thing, or something they came up with themselves? I'm curious if other photographers have been asked this or are offering this.

I suppose if the couple found out there might be additional charges for doing this, they may decide they don't want it after all. Maybe clue them in to what additional work would be involved etc. and if they're still interested in it with a charge for the service then give them a price for it. (I guess, I'm just tossing out ideas here.)

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420971 by garyrhook
Someone should explain to the happy couple that it's in bad taste to ask your guests to fund your wedding.

That said...

If you dno't currently sell gift certificates, you might consider doing so, if you have a method for directly recouping the funds paid for the certificate. It can be as simple as "Contribution of $100 towards the wedding album"; you get the money and credit the bride's account.

The best part is, you get paid up front :ohmy: . Although I imagine you already to with wedding gigs.

You could also offer a gimme: say, if a guest chooses to give this gift, you could give out a 10% off coupon towards one of your portraiture packages (if you do that kind of work), or a complimentary print with a package, or some such. Look at it as marketing, maybe? Just an idea...

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421003 by Garbo

garyrhook wrote: Someone should explain to the happy couple that it's in bad taste to ask your guests to fund your wedding.

That said...

If you dno't currently sell gift certificates, you might consider doing so, if you have a method for directly recouping the funds paid for the certificate. It can be as simple as "Contribution of $100 towards the wedding album"; you get the money and credit the bride's account.

The best part is, you get paid up front :ohmy: . Although I imagine you already to with wedding gigs.

You could also offer a gimme: say, if a guest chooses to give this gift, you could give out a 10% off coupon towards one of your portraiture packages (if you do that kind of work), or a complimentary print with a package, or some such. Look at it as marketing, maybe? Just an idea...

+1

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421030 by Finn
:blink: This is a first

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421103 by Foxy Girl
Seems like this could be a logistical nightmare, I wouldn't bother with this.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024