Do you fuss with white balance in the camera?

8 years 11 months ago #441742 by Ryan711
Anything but auto?  As I see it, why bother when Photoshop and Lightroom give you much more control? I bought one of those white balance filters and think it works great, but I have noticed considering the time it takes me to mess around and set up, and few quick adjustments in Photoshop CC or in Lightroom, it does the same.  

Now I haven't printed anything out and looked side by side, but can say my quick analysis shows little to no difference.  Just time it takes to set up.  

Do you agree? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #441752 by garyrhook
I have a WhiBal card and use it if I remember to. I know that it will get me in the right place for skin tones under any condition, and then I can work from there, even as light conditions change.

If I don't remember to, I usually leave it set to Auto, yes, although I have worked with a photographer that prefers it to just be set to daylight. At least that way, you can detect shot-to-shot changes if you want to retain the difference.

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441779 by effron
If I'm in the mood I set the WB. If not I shoot auto, and either way its easily fixable in ACR.  If doing a sunrise/sunset landscape with lots of contrast I will set the WB because it can affect the exposure, maybe just enough to make or break the shot.  Photoshop rocks but you can rely on it too much at times......:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441783 by KCook
I use to just leave it in Auto all the time.  Now that I have a color checker card I am trying to train myself to set this manually.  But that doesn't mean I fuss with it often,  Sunlight 90% of the time, Flash the other 10%.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #441785 by Hassner
Weddings I shoot on auto. The less I have to worry and fiddle, the more I can concentrate on the creative side.
When I copy artwork, I use a colour test sheet to see which setting is closest as to do little movement in post.
When I scout, outside on daylight, interiors on auto.
When I shoot for myself I shoot on daylight as I am outside most of the time and I do not want my sunsets to turn blue in auto.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #441832 by Kenta
90% of the time, I just leave it in auto.  When I do step out of that setting it's usually something specific, like cloud setting.  

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441928 by Vahrenkamp
Pretty much the same for me as well, when I remember and feel like it.  

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #441959 by GreenMary
I use auto most of the time...

8 years 10 months ago #442068 by Luca
Nope, all auto for me

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442203 by ThatNikonGuy
:agree:  same with me, when the shot calls for it.  Or I just feel like get into the shot more. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442365 by J Hemingway
When I first bought my Expo Disc white balance filter, I used it all the time.  I stuck with this for about 3 months, and now to be completely honest, I don't see the purpose, I'll just correct in post. 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442405 by Joves
Now that I do not live near 8000 feet, mine is set to sunny. I do set mine though when I feel it needs it with my Expodisc. I personally like to cut as many steps as possible out of any post work I may do. 

8 years 10 months ago #442506 by Ryan711
BTW have any of you tried the egg crate white balance trick?

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442631 by Stealthy Ninja
There's a darned good reason to set it manually for events. Here's why:

I've found editing for events requires 3 main adjustments. WB, Exposure and cropping. For WB and exposure, the challenge is getting all the images to look like they come from the same location (same lighting and colour), so the last thing you want is 1000 different WB settings and exposure to be all over the place. So I always shoot manual both for exposure and WB.

If you move to another room which has a different WB requirement (or if they change the lighting for some reason), you only have to adjust the first image in the sequence, you can then batch process the rest (for that room/lighting requirement) OR you can manually adjust WB for that room (during the event), but usually I just pick a good WB for the whole venue if I can help it. If they introduce different colour lighting, it's usually for an effect, which brings me to the next reason to use manual WB:

Sometimes light is supposed to be that colour... if you pick a good neutral WB for a location (say 3200K) and they suddenly add some red lighting (because it's a show and the character playing the devil has come onto stage) then you don't want it too look perfect, you want it to look red (or blue, or green or whatever). I've found it particularly useful for concerts/plays where they will use this sort of coloured lighting.

So my point is, if you are taking a lot of photos in one location and you want them to look similar, then using Manual WB is a good idea to save PP time.

When I edit photos I can skip over a lot of them I know look fine. In fact, WB is the first thing I adjust and if it isn't right I have to batch process the whole series, if I get it right in camera I don't really need to do this and I don't have to keep second guessing the camera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Hossack
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #442634 by KCook
:goodpost:
While I am not an event photographer, I agree with all of that.  For any kind of photography WB adjustments are easier in post than in the camera.  And setting the WB manually makes the post WB adjustments easier than working from AutoWB.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024