Another permission question regarding photographing homes with Christmas lights

8 years 5 months ago #463019 by Gump
Do you need permission to photograph someones home with beautiful Christmas lights on it?  

What about to submit to magazine? 

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #463028 by icepics
Probably depends on how you'd approach it and what you'd do with the pictures. If someone decorates their house then they'd probably expect people to look at and enjoy the lights, so you might be fine taking pictures from the car. If you get out of the car and start taking a lot of pictures, I wouldn't be surprised if the resident comes out to talk or see what you're doing.

To submit images look at a magazine's submission guidelines and see what it says about property releases. Usually the general guideline for getting a model or property release signed is if the subject is recognizable, and if you're using the images for retail or commercial use. Usually for editorial use a release wouldn't be needed but might be requested by the publication.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #463053 by KenMan
That's actually a good question,  my first thought would be that you would need a release.  

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #463056 by effron
You need NO permission to photograph the lights from a public street or road. If the house isn't identifiable (visible address, vehicle in yard with lic#, etc) I wouldn't worry about a release. I shoot these subjects all the time (holiday season),  just exercise some  good sense....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #463072 by CatherineW
:agree:  none needed  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463105 by Joves
+2 :agree:
The only restriction is with commercial use. Submitting to magazines is considered as editorial, and news, so free to use. You can also display them on your personal site as well. If it is easily seen from a public space it is a fair target. Also remember that people who are doing it are taking pride in decorating for every last holiday, so  it really is not going to bother them.

8 years 4 months ago #463122 by Number 7
Why put up lights if you don't want anybody taking pictures?

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463171 by JaneK
Just be respectful 

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463193 by nanhi
The answer is very easy and an ethical one. If you are going to make money from such a photo, you better inform the house owner and take his written permission irrespective of whether or not he asks for a share of the moolah.
As an Amateur Photographer you need not worry as long as you heed the above. Do not also enter this photo in any competition where money is involved. A prize may be OK.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463282 by Sue Bidwell
I take photos every year of houses in lights.  I suspect and always thought home owners would be flattered that people acknowledged their efforts and took photos of their beautifully lit homes. 

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463288 by nanhi
Sue, you are always welcome to take photographs of your neighbor's or other people's well decorated and lit houses during festivals. The house owner may even facilitate you and feel pride that you thought it artistic to photograph his house.
Do admire the photos you have taken of homes decorated with Christmas lights or perhaps even frame them on your Living Room walls.                                                             Just remember NOT to commercially exploit the photos by selling them. This would be an offense liable for litigation and fine or a jail term or both, if the home owner wanted so.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463363 by Prago
The lights are already finding their way up in my neighborhood too.  This time of year is awesome.  As far as permissions, I've never even thought about that with holiday lights.  As someone else pointed out, if you don't want attention and potential photographers taken of your home, then why put up lights?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463373 by icepics
If a house is decorated for the holidays there would I think be an expectation that people will look at it and possibly take photos.

It's not just taking the pictures, it's what you do with them.  

Get informed - get on http://asmp.org or PPA and read guidelines from a pro photographer organization so you learn what to do and what is current best practice. Opinions on a message board are just that, opinions; you need to find accurate information and professional guidelines.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463390 by Jacob Fisher
Good topic guys, thanks for sharing

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #463480 by No Show
I'm putting up lights as we speak now!  come on over and snap away. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024