Got kicked off Santa Monica pier over the weekend

8 years 4 days ago #481116 by Frost Photography
I was photographing people fishing off the pier  in Santa Monica and was asked to put away my camera.  Correct me if I'm wrong, piers are public space and should be okay to photograph on.  Right?  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
8 years 4 days ago #481118 by effron
Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 4 days ago #481128 by icepics
Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

If you look up a place before you go then you could find out if you can or can't take pictures, and what are the policies. Then you'd be informed if you're approached about taking photos.
http://santamonicapier.org/join/

http://santamonicapier.org/wp-content/themes/sm-pier/docs/events_film-guide.pdf

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 4 days ago #481129 by SuzyM

icepics wrote: Asked by who? someone who works there? or another visitor?

That was my question exactly!

8 years 4 days ago #481131 by Glenn Gee
Seems to me you were well within your rights to be there taking pictures. I had a look at the links that icepics posted and it does say that a permit is required if your photos are for commercial purposes, but if you're just there taking photos you should have been able to hang out and do that.

Photo Comments
8 years 4 days ago #481160 by Little Kate
If public space and wasn't a police officer, was it a private person or ?? asked you to not take photos? 

Photo Comments
8 years 3 days ago #481236 by KCook

effron wrote: Yup. However, if I was asked to NOT photograph people, even in a public place, I would have complied. 

Yup.  Or at least try to be more casual in how I'm shooting.  Street cameras are inconspicuous for a reason.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 3 days ago #481241 by cabbot
This seems to be happening more and more, with people demanding that photographers cease and desist. What gives? Are photographers being jerks about it, or are property owners/public persons being overly sensitive? Or something else entirely??

Photo Comments
8 years 3 days ago #481334 by KZAM
Over the years, I've been asked to leave many locations that I was photographing.  Regardless of who is asking, good practices is always to respect those who you might have been photographing.  Now this doesn't mean you need to be a push over, however just use good judgement.  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
8 years 3 days ago - 8 years 3 days ago #481336 by effron
What gives?.....Hmmm, maybe a feeling of privacy violation trumps a constitutional right? Why push peoples' buttons for a "picture"?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #483267 by Stic
It's not that simple though. The very same freedom people in public are enjoying is the same freedom you are enjoying while photographing in public.

I was stopped by the police once and asked what I was doing...'I'm taking photos' was my answer. The officer politely suggested that I stop and move on, I declined and continued to take photos as I was well within my rights and was not offending anyone, or getting in anyone's 'face'...

I was using a 100-400, so most of my subjects were not even aware I was taking photos. The cop probably only noticed because of the white lens...

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #483268 by Stic
I should also point out the irony of the situation too, the area I was photographing was a large square in the middle of the city which was under 24 hour CCTV surveillance...

Hardly an expectation of privacy there...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024