Giving credit protocol

7 years 11 months ago #481885 by Ray Tevich
So if you take a photo and let's say a good friend of yours Photoshops your photo.  If you submit the photo to a photo contest that makes it into a magazine, should you give your friend credit for Photoshop'ing it?  

I'm on the fence about this.  

I appreciate the 411 on this one.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481928 by effron
If its really your friend, then yes you credit him.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481936 by Ontherocks
I was going to say the same thing.  But this does bring up a question for me.  Would you be legally bond to do so?

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481969 by icepics
I don't think I've ever seen a photo credit that credits the photographer and whoever photoshopped it. I don't know if there would be a way to credit someone who helped you by doing the editing.

For a magazine you'd need to look at their guidelines for submission. If it's a contest check the rules.

In my experience the expectation is usually that the photographer did their own work. Having someone edit your work seems fine if it's for personal use, or if a photographer hires/pays someone to edit their photos.

But to submit it for use in a publication or contest as your own work when someone helped you seems iffy or unacceptable for that purpose.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #481977 by Denise Lattimer
:agree:

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482000 by Frost Photography
I think if you have the opportunity to give recognition, then go for it.  Could be good karma.  Not to mention score future favors.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482067 by Camera Diva
If it's a photo credit spot only, you might not have the chance to do so.  If it's a editorial piece on the photo, then yes.  IMO that would be good practice. 

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482099 by msmith55

Camera Diva wrote: If it's a photo credit spot only, you might not have the chance to do so.  If it's a editorial piece on the photo, then yes.  IMO that would be good practice. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482101 by Rudy Sosa
I would if the space permitted it 

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482176 by Amy Porter

effron wrote: If its really your friend, then yes you credit him.....

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482181 by Don Fischer
If he's really a friend, he'd give you the credit for taking the photo. Consider if he wasn't your friend of even someone you know, would you let him have the photo? I don't think so. if he'd entered it and given you credit for the photo, no problem.

7 years 11 months ago #482186 by Ben Vanderbilt
Yeah, I would.  +1 on the good karma and favor in the future.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482191 by Glenn Gee
Add me to the list in favor of giving credit if there is an opportunity to do so. Just the right thing to do.

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482208 by icepics
There most likely won't be an opportunity to give credit to someone else who edited your photo.

It's up to the editors of a publication how much space is allotted for photos/articles - I learned that in journalism, that you write so any paragraph can be cut and the article still work. You won't be writing the photo credit, you'd provide your information and they'll write it up.

I doubt a magazine or other publication would publish a photo knowing someone else besides the photographer edited it. For a contest it probably depends on contest rules. You may be limited on how you can use a photo that you didn't edit yourself.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #482360 by Connie K Photos

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024