Giving credit protocol

8 years 1 week ago #481885 by Ray Tevich
So if you take a photo and let's say a good friend of yours Photoshops your photo.  If you submit the photo to a photo contest that makes it into a magazine, should you give your friend credit for Photoshop'ing it?  

I'm on the fence about this.  

I appreciate the 411 on this one.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #481928 by effron
If its really your friend, then yes you credit him.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #481936 by Ontherocks
I was going to say the same thing.  But this does bring up a question for me.  Would you be legally bond to do so?

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #481969 by icepics
I don't think I've ever seen a photo credit that credits the photographer and whoever photoshopped it. I don't know if there would be a way to credit someone who helped you by doing the editing.

For a magazine you'd need to look at their guidelines for submission. If it's a contest check the rules.

In my experience the expectation is usually that the photographer did their own work. Having someone edit your work seems fine if it's for personal use, or if a photographer hires/pays someone to edit their photos.

But to submit it for use in a publication or contest as your own work when someone helped you seems iffy or unacceptable for that purpose.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #481977 by Denise Lattimer
:agree:

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482000 by Frost Photography
I think if you have the opportunity to give recognition, then go for it.  Could be good karma.  Not to mention score future favors.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482067 by Camera Diva
If it's a photo credit spot only, you might not have the chance to do so.  If it's a editorial piece on the photo, then yes.  IMO that would be good practice. 

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482099 by msmith55

Camera Diva wrote: If it's a photo credit spot only, you might not have the chance to do so.  If it's a editorial piece on the photo, then yes.  IMO that would be good practice. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482101 by Rudy Sosa
I would if the space permitted it 

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482176 by Amy Porter

effron wrote: If its really your friend, then yes you credit him.....

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482181 by Don Fischer
If he's really a friend, he'd give you the credit for taking the photo. Consider if he wasn't your friend of even someone you know, would you let him have the photo? I don't think so. if he'd entered it and given you credit for the photo, no problem.

8 years 1 week ago #482186 by Ben Vanderbilt
Yeah, I would.  +1 on the good karma and favor in the future.  

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482191 by Glenn Gee
Add me to the list in favor of giving credit if there is an opportunity to do so. Just the right thing to do.

Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482208 by icepics
There most likely won't be an opportunity to give credit to someone else who edited your photo.

It's up to the editors of a publication how much space is allotted for photos/articles - I learned that in journalism, that you write so any paragraph can be cut and the article still work. You won't be writing the photo credit, you'd provide your information and they'll write it up.

I doubt a magazine or other publication would publish a photo knowing someone else besides the photographer edited it. For a contest it probably depends on contest rules. You may be limited on how you can use a photo that you didn't edit yourself.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 1 week ago #482360 by Connie K Photos

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Some bird photography gear is obvious. You need a camera, a lens, and a tripod. But what are the best options in these and other categories of gear? Let’s find out!

May 29, 2024

Having a zoom lens in your bag is like having a jack of all trades. These lenses cover broad focal ranges so you can use one lens for multiple photographic pursuits.

May 28, 2024

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024