Need release to post proofs on the web?

13 years 2 months ago #27137 by Carmin
I will be photographings people for an event. A coordinator for the event wants me to bring releases for the people to sign because I will be posting my proofs on the web.

I am sure that not everyone will be able to sign the releases due to getting ready for the event themselves. The photographer who covered this event last year didn't have any releases and he placed all of the proofs online in a password protected album.

Has anyone had to have releases signed just for proofs being on their websites?

Should I password protect the album instead of a release?

I'm confused here. I thought releases were to allow someone control of a photographer's photograph (such as for reproduction, etc.) Or allowed you to use the photo in an advertisement, on your webpage, etc.

13 years 2 months ago #27152 by Johnson Studio
You are correct about the releases.
In your case I would just password protect the gallery. But that is only if you are able to get the password out to those people in the event so they can login to see the photos.

13 years 2 months ago #27185 by Riggs
Even if you do not password protect the gallery. It's a public event. I am sure the people know there is going to be a photographer. They placed themself in a public event. Even if you as the photographer didn't take pictures, there are families and friends (and strangers) who will be snapping away. So there will be pictures taken no matter what. If the people didn't want their picture taken, they should not enter the event. :)

13 years 2 months ago #27272 by no hassel
I believe if you were posting the photos on the web for sale you would need to have releases signed by everyone. But since you're just posting the proofs on the web - and I assume asking the people to contact you in some way to purchase them - then I don't think you need to worry about releases.

And passwording the site might cause problems, too. There would probably be lots of people who didn't get the passsword or forgot it or whatever.

I'd post the proofs and not worry about it. Let the event coordinators take any heat since you're doing it for them.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024