Stock sites that have highest payout?

7 years 8 months ago #493882 by Hawkins
Is there an active listing for this?  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493888 by PhotoViking
Interesting question.....
Some years ago, when I "re-entered" into a former hobby (photography) I also took some interest in stock sites. That is until I found out that most participants work, more or less, for free.....
The only one I know about (in English) is from Backyard Silver, The stock photo business in 2015 – end of year review .
Maybee that's what you're looking for?

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493899 by roberthh
I know 500px gets a lot of sign ups from people that want to add extra income.

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493915 by Screamin Scott
Most photographers don't earn much from stock sites, no matter which site.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #493985 by Moe
Istockphoto

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #494038 by effron

roberthh wrote: I know 500px gets a lot of sign ups from people that want to add extra income.

This is probably your best bet, but your product needs to be good....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #494062 by Gus
+1 on 500px, though as others have said, don't expect to make much.

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #494076 by icepics
I think 500px seems like the type of site called a 'photo rights grab' site. It's based out of Canada so I don't know not being a US based company if US copyright applies or not.

Look at the Terms - it may say you retain your rights but - look at the section headed 'CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR INCLUSION ON THE SERVICE'. It allows for photos to be redistributed to third parties, etc. Why sign up to use a site that allows the company to use your photos for various purposes instead of using your own photos yourself?? Why let them have control of your work and benefit from it?

And if Terms are ridiculously long and complicated why agree to them? If it was a contract you had to sign would you sign it?

And istock, isn't that Getty? Definitely look at the Terms, last I looked they were unfavorable to photographers. Again, why give them your work to make money from? The payment percentage seems so low, particularly for stock.

I don't think any of these type sites are good stock sites. There are photo agencies listed in PDN, the Photo District News, but I would imagine to shoot for a stock agency you'd probably have to be pretty darn good.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #494159 by Happy Hour
Pretty much all stock sites are going to have some sort of issue or T&C restrictions.  Shutter stock is another one

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #494220 by Flash Steven
It's a nickle and dime fest regardless where you go these days

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024