How do you feel about "taking the shot is only half the job"?

7 years 7 months ago #496050 by Roblane
I was talking to another photographer today and wow, he got worked up when I mentioned this.  "Taking the shot is 100% of the job".  said the other photographer.  "People who think post processing is a legitimate part of taking a photo should retire their cameras immediately".

I was like "holy #@$#$, this guy is off his rocker".  Lucky for me, a client called me and I walked away from this guy.  

Seriously, I've never met someone who was so anal about something that is so opinion based.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496059 by Gump
I agree, taking the shot is half the job.  These days if you want to be completive, you need to tune photos up, perfect them if you will in post.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496061 by PhotoViking
I'd say taking the photo is only 1/3

Preparations / planning: considering poses, locations, angles / perspective etc.
Taking the photo(s)
Post - processing.....

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496078 by effron
I say who cares what losers think? Be it 1% or 99%, does it really matter?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496162 by Soccer Mom

PhotoViking wrote: I'd say taking the photo is only 1/3

Preparations / planning: considering poses, locations, angles / perspective etc.
Taking the photo(s)
Post - processing.....

:agree: I'm with you  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496283 by Lavender Photo
Maybe in a perfect world. I spend much more of my time sitting behind a computer (whether it's emailing clients or tuning up my images or who knows what else) than I do behind my camera. Any working photography knows that some amount of post processing and networking comes with the territory.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496286 by Glenn Gee
I wish taking the photo was 100% of the job because that's when I have the most fun. I'm out in nature, hiking, climbing, seeing amazing things. That's way better than being in my apartment staring at the photos on my laptop! I'd agree with the other poster that taking the photo is just 1/3 of the process.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496371 by ThatNikonGuy
Exactly, these days I spend more time in post.  Not because I screwed up the shots.  Well, I guess that to some degree could be argued.  However getting into post allows me to perfect each shot.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496409 by MYoung
I'm in the same mindset as you all.  1/3 of the completed photo is the so called "taking the shot", planning, and post are up there too. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496703 by tobythephotoguy
I'd make the argument that any "photographer" that thinks that the only thing that goes into the profession is snapping a shutter hasn't truly worked as a professional. Sorry to hear that someone got so worked up over an opinion

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496730 by Neil Dulay

MYoung wrote: I'm in the same mindset as you all.  1/3 of the completed photo is the so called "taking the shot", planning, and post are up there too. 

:agree:   

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #496761 by Stic

PhotoViking wrote: I'd say taking the photo is only 1/3

Taking the photo(s)
Post - processing.....

Add another one to this...

Shooting feature articles for automotive magazines, actually clicking the shutter was a miniscule part of the process.

Research into the vehicle and it's history, considering the style, make and model and what setting suited it, then how to shoot it, what angles and features, any artificial lighting, props etc...

Then push the shutter...

Then spend hours and hours choosing images, post work, cropping to fit with photo spread and text...

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496765 by Shadowfixer1
Depending on what is being delivered, I would add the job is not finished until you print it. That changes of course if you are delivering a book or something like that.
7 years 7 months ago #496931 by Glen Mosley
Absolutely true, sometimes taking the shot is far less than half.  Photoshop and Lightroom are such an important part of my photography. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #496993 by Tim Dordeck
+1

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024