Ken Kaminesky Signature Edition Hitech filters?

7 years 3 months ago #512285 by Roger.T
I better ask my question that I came here today to ask before I get wrapped up in the other post here and forget! 

I was reading a landscape photography article from this site and they were recommending Hitech filters.  I've never used these before and never bothered to look them up.  Honestly, I thought they were cheap knockoff filters from China for some reason.  Well that is the impression I got a few years ago after reading a blog post on forum community I belonged to at the time.  

So, I've been snooping around their website and see this company is NOT in china and apparently out of the UK and has a US site. 

This kit:

www.formatt-hitechusa.com/photo-kits/mas...ky-signature-edition

I'm attracted to the price and what you get, but I'm wondering how is the quality of these filters?  
  • Firecrest ND 3.0 (10 stops)
  • Firecrest ND 1.8 (6 stops)
  • Firecrest ND 0.9 (3 stops)
  • Firecrest Soft Edge ND Grad 0.6 (2 stops)
  • Firecrest Soft Edge ND Grad 0.9 (3 stops)
  • 67 & 85mm Kits
    • Aluminium Holder
    • 67mm Kit:  39, 46, 52 & 62mm adaptor rings
    • 85mm Kit:  58, 67, 72 & 77mm adaptor rings
    • Polariser ring
    • Firecrest SuperSlim Circular Polariser
  • 100mm Kit
    • (NEW) Firecrest 100mm Filter Holder
      • Soft Touch Outer Case
      • 82-82mm Rotating Adaptor Ring
      • 67-82mm Step Ring
      • 72-82mm Step Ring
      • 77-82mm Step Ring
      • Firecrest 82mm Ultraslim polariser

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
7 years 3 months ago #512305 by effron
No better, maybe no worse than SinghRay, or Lee. The kit includes a few things I wouldn't use, I'm happy with my Lee holder and I'll buy filters as needed. I have a couple Hitechs and they're fine....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512312 by Roger.T
Hey thanks.  You mind me asking what you shoot the most?  Landscapes?  

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
7 years 3 months ago #512338 by KENT MELTON
This might help you

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512346 by effron
Wildlife and macro, later in the year landscapes will dominate my time and effort....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512371 by Neil Dulay
Are these glass or resin? 

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512412 by effron

Neil Dulay wrote: Are these glass or resin? 

My Lees are glass, my Hitechs are resin. I like them both, btw....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512532 by Stanly
I just got one of their kits for Christmas.  I'll tell you, it's a good set of lenses and complete! One of their brackets feels 'light', but other than that it's great!

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512841 by Overread

effron wrote:

Neil Dulay wrote: Are these glass or resin? 

My Lees are glass, my Hitechs are resin. I like them both, btw....

+1  same here.  Hitech filters are a good value

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513168 by Kitzmiller
A friend of mine picked up a set of these.  Actually his wife bought them for him for Christmas.  I've used, and think it's a real nice filter.  I don't know much about the kit mentioned here.  Just the singular filters.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024