Planning a trip to Alaska in August and could use some help

7 years 1 month ago #520889 by Amy Porter
I've never been to Alaska and would love to photograph some of the bears, salmon, eagles, northern lights and the moose.  

I started planning my trip in August, but want to make sure this is best season for photographing as many of the above as I can.  

Will August be the best month for that?  

Please post some hot spots worth visiting too.  Thank you!!

Amy

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520926 by effron
Find a guide service, and pack plenty of bug repellant....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520942 by Bill Murphy
July though September I want to say.

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521095 by Don Granger
Are you going with a tour or workshop?  If not, I would strongly suggest you look into one.  These people are up there all the time and most always will land your camera in front of the action each time.  

Otherwise you are searching all day to find the good shots.  

www.expeditionsalaska.com/phototours/fal...zlies/grizzlies.html

and these guys  naturalexposures.com/wildife-photo-tours...-photography-tour-1/

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521123 by Roblane
+1 agree

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521124 by WhiteCranePhoto
In the northern parts of Alaska, like up in the Brooks Range (Gates of the Arctic NP, ANWR for example) you'll probably find the most wildlife, since there aren't a lot of people there... though getting into that region is a bit of a challenge, since Gates of the Arctic has no roads or even ranger stations. And the tussocks, which resemble squishy bowling balls, are a bit of a bear to walk on, especially if you're carrying a loaded pack. :)

You're right between the caribou migrations, but they do herd; I believe that in mid-summer the caribou are up north in ANWR and migrate down through the Brooks Range in fall. I was up at the Alatna headwaters on Labor day a few years ago, and we were seeing quite a few stragglers wandering through the valley heading southward, but we missed the great herds apparently by just a week or two.

There was bear scat everywhere, but we weren't fortunate enough to catch sightings of them. There were also wolf howls echoing across the valley every night, but we weren't lucky enough to see those, either, unfortunately.

From what I understand, there are quite a few grizzlies in Denali, and the goat populations are doing a lot better now that the national park service has reintroduced wolves there.

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521151 by tCampbell
Good post!! 

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521252 by Uplander
July and August are good months

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #521359 by Soccer Mom
Hi Amy, how funny my husband and I will be up in Alaska in August for a wedding.  I was just looking online last week to see what is possible for seeing that month too!  

I just sent you a PM.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 4 weeks ago #521499 by One Wish
You've gotten some great advice already, your going to have fun on this trip.  Be sure to post up some photos from it! 

We were on the fence between Alaska and Iceland and we decided to book trip to Iceland in Sept 2017.  13 days and honestly, can't wait!  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 weeks ago #521512 by tejbon
Are you renting a car while up there? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024