Photographing boats and permission needed?

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #532279 by garyrhook

Athena wrote: I've never heard that you can't photograph boats or cars for that matter.  Just buildings that are owned by government. 

I won't even ask about municipal/county/state/federal distinctions.

No, that's incorrect. A quick web search will make that clear.

www.thoughtco.com/legality-of-photograph...al-buildings-3321820

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532320 by Remy Hedrick
+1 Rather surprised too, didn't know about boats.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532469 by icepics
Gary is it necessary to say to people like Scott and Kelly that what they posted is irrelevant? I think it's a valid point that even if it's legal to stand on a dock or sidewalk taking photos of someone's houseboat, it would get rude and inconsiderate at some point to keep doing so - if someone lives there maybe they don't want to be bothered. It can be necessary to consider usage so you know if you're going to need to ask the boat owner to sign a property release or not.

That article linked gives no footnotes and doesn't cite any sources to know where the person who wrote it got the information. So I don't know that you can assume it's correct.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
6 years 9 months ago #532479 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: Gary is it necessary to say to people like Scott and Kelly that what they posted is irrelevant? I think it's a valid point that even if it's legal to stand on a dock or sidewalk taking photos of someone's houseboat, it would get rude and inconsiderate at some point to keep doing so - if someone lives there maybe they don't want to be bothered. It can be necessary to consider usage so you know if you're going to need to ask the boat owner to sign a property release or not.

That article linked gives no footnotes and doesn't cite any sources to know where the person who wrote it got the information. So I don't know that you can assume it's correct.

I should get myself a service mark registration for "correcting misinformation one post at a time."

If someone conflates, then what words, precisely, would be appropriate to point out that someone is bringing into the conversation something that really has nothing to do with it (the conversation)?

If you perceive the word "irrelevant" as provocative, there's not much I can do about that. According to thesaurus.com its synonyms include "off the topic", "not pertaining to" and "unrelated". I suppose I could use "unrelated" just as easily.

I believe the OP's issue was the legality of taking photographs. Not whether it was annoying (conflation). Nor the potential usage of said photographs (again, conflation). Just taking photographs. I'm not suggesting that these other issues are not important, just that one should keep the issues separate in order to arrive at the truth of the matter. E.g. no one has explained how needing a property release has anything to do with snapping the shutter. Because you don't.

And because what's really inappropriate is presuming that we get to walk around telling people what they can and cannot do. Like the guy at the boat dock. I continue to maintain that he was out of line, period.

I don't post links to articles in order to claim they are the final word on a matter. I do so to illustrate that doing a search on the web can lead one to more and more detailed information about a subject. In this instance, one could read that short summation then search for "musumeci sued the department of homeland security" and immediately find links to the court documents. One could then read further about the case and its outcome. As opposed to dismissing it (the article) because it doesn't meet preconceptions of veracity.

Oh, and just to be clear: nowhere have I suggested that what someone posted is irrelevant. My points, if read carefully, are about trying to introduce factors into a discussion when they have no place there. That's not the same thing.

I should turn this into a blog post.... if I had a blog.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #532494 by effron
Lots of sparks over taking some pictures. If someone asked me not to photograph something, I'd probably oblige...but lots depends on that, no two circumstances are the same. Attitude (how they ask) means a lot and if I know I'm in the right taking them, I'd probably respond, "take a hike". I didn't read all the wordy responses, but if the person whose boat I was on was good, I'm snapping away....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #532633 by PhotoViking
As I know it; whether private or public property - there are always rules that apply.
By entering the place you normally accept those rules. If they say "no photography" you shouldn't be making any photos. If those rules don't mention photography you are free to make photos. If the rules say "permit needed for photography" you aply for a permit - or you don't shoot! What you do with the photos afterwards is a different story......

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532647 by Stanly
 I would've gone back and just taken the photo. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #533112 by joirv
huh, never heard of something like that happening. people get defensive around cameras though

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024