Buying used camera gear vs buying new?

6 years 8 months ago #535138 by Ontherocks
What is your personal policy on buying used?  Will you buy a used camera body?  Would you buy a used camera lens? 

I was chatting with another photographer yesterday about this.  I have no problem buying used lenses, but the camera body, I want new.   That was just me. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535160 by ThatNikonGuy
If it's a good deal and the item checks out, I'll be used any day. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535170 by Screamin Scott
I've bought used bodies but I check them out real good too.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535187 by Alvin K
I have no issues with buying used if a good deal and I can trust the seller.  

6 years 8 months ago #535196 by effron
I prefer new bodies, but have bought used lenses....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #535197 by Screamin Scott
Most of my bodies (digital that is) have been refurbs....One was used, two were new, three were refurbs..Lenses have almost all been used or refurbs...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535199 by garyrhook
I think you can tell quite a bit from the condition of the exterior of a body. Past that, what matters is the actuation count, which you can get from a recent photo. Every shutter mechanism has an estimated number of actuations, which will help you assess risk/return. That said, both of my body purchases have been new, because they've been new-ish models (i.e. un-replaced).

For lenses, all of mine are pre-owned. If the lens works, talks to the camera, and (again) has an exterior in good condition, then it's probably a safe bet. Past that, you can get guaranteed lenses through Amazon, or refurbs.

If I can get a lens used in a good deal, I'll do it.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535204 by Jessa Layton

Screamin Scott wrote: I've bought used bodies but I check them out real good too.

+1 same with me

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535235 by Dana Leeson
I prefer camera bodies to be new and the glass is OK in my book being used.  Depending on price and condition of course.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535253 by rosh4u
I would say that it's totally personal choice and preference. If the deal and condition of the camera are good I would go for it. But yeah, if there is no much difference is not much in the price of used and new then its good to go for a new camera. 

6 years 8 months ago #535265 by Shadowfixer1
I bought my Olympus E-M1 from KEH used. I couldn't believe the condition it was in when I received it. If you had unboxed a brand new one and swapped them around in a blind test, there wouldn't be anyway to pick the new from the used. I went through the steps to check shutter count and it was at 999. It came with a 6 month warranty and was several hundred dollars cheaper. Good deal. Each instance will vary I'm sure, but I came out way ahead. I have bought 2 lenses from the Olympus refurb outlet and they looked and worked as new. I guess a person needs to do whatever they are comfortable with. If you are willing to gamble on having to send something back that's not acceptable, then you can save quite a bit of money.
6 years 8 months ago #535297 by KENT MELTON
If a good deal, then yes, buy used all day

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535479 by Frederick Images
I've bought used glass in the past.  I always buy new camera bodies though.  Mainly for the warranty.  I've never had much any problems with lenses. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535480 by Screamin Scott
I've never had to utilize a camera warranty.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535527 by Joves
For me it is glass without hesitation. Film bodies depend on what glass is coming with them, because I only buy film bodies for the glass. Digital bodies always new. While I have yet to use a warranty, I trust Mr Murphy's Law that a used one would break on me, if I have the warranty they never do.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024