Silica gel packets in camera bag when storing?

6 years 8 months ago #537318 by Jason Oldman
Any of you use these silica gel packets when storing your camera, or when storing for long time?

If left in camera bag, I get this could be good for the camera.  What about leather camera bags, will that harm the leather?  

I'm looking at these: 

silicagelpackets.com

Just wondering about the humidity we have around here. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537341 by garyrhook
Those things absorb humidity, and only so much. After a while they do nothing. Not much point in using them unless you have a plan to change them out. And I don't really see how they can have much impact on a leather article.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537363 by Joves
Depends on what part of the country you are in, and how humid it is. If it is going to sit in your home then I am betting your home is climate controlled, so it will not be much of a problem. If anything you could just store it just fine in the bag, unless you have bags and that mildew on you when in storage. If that is the case then a dry box is where you want to store the body, and lenses, or better yet a dehumidifier in the room. My camera has been just fine even here in the wet south, with an occasional stint in the dry box the night before I am taking it out.

6 years 8 months ago #537365 by effron
Store the cameras and lenses in a zip lock bag, get as much air out as possible and seal.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537425 by Vahrenkamp
Tip:  You can create your own vacuum seal with the above mentioned ziplock bags using a straw.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537473 by Amy Porter
Never used anything like this, and never had any issues with moisture.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537559 by KENT MELTON
Really?  I don't store anything with these.  Should I?

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537623 by Shadowfixer1
6 years 8 months ago #537684 by Pettigrew
Although I've never used them before, I suspect it can't hurt to toss a couple in the old camera bag during summer months or if traveling to humid area of the world.  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #539798 by srubio77
Don't know how much it would help things, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Considering how cheap those packets are, I say order a few?

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #539809 by The Gardener
Nope don't bother IMO

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024