Polarizing Filters and Photographing Art Work

6 years 8 months ago #540722 by Daimon
I have a Nikon D7000 camera fitted with a 18 - 105mm Nikkor lens.  I've been photographing a recent painting and the results and the results were unsatisfactory at best.  For example, the colors in the flesh tone look mottled or broken up, if not garish, which is not visible when viewing the painting.  I realize a polarizer knocks out glare, but I was wondering how much it affects colors.  Moreover, the prices seem to vary dramatically, which I assume represents the difference in quality.  Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541234 by Joves
While yes a CP will maybe saturate the colors some, you will get more effect with proper exposure. Were you shooting in one of the preset modes? If shooting in Manual are you shooting in RAW+Jpeg, and for your Jpegs are you using a customized setting? For example having it set to Vivid, and tweaking that setting. Also what was the lighting they used for the display? Since this is digital you can tweak some settings, and shoot it as many times as you want, and then later review and see what worked. But I am will to bet you can get the colors you want by messing with settings.

6 years 7 months ago #541357 by garyrhook
It is also important to understand gamut. There may be (likely are) colors in that painting that will be impossible to capture with a camera.

Yes, I speak from experience.

The real world doesn't fit into sRGB or even AdobeRGB. That said, good lighting, good glass. If you can get those right you might not even need the polarizer.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541420 by Daimon
Joves, My set up is quite simple: I use two color corrected lights set at about 45 degree angle towards the painting. I usually set the exposure in A (aperture mode) using the jpeg format. I've ordered a Hoya Pro1 Circular Polarizer and will get back to on the results. Ideally I'd like to get it right in the camera before I resort to using photoshop.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541428 by icepics
Maybe you need to bounce the lights so you're not getting reflection off the painting's surface. Shooting Raw instead of JPEGs might give you better options if you need to do some editing.

I think cheaper filters are more likely to be lower in quality. At least I've read that they tend to get stuck on lenses because they're often made (I think) of aluminum.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541550 by Joves

Daimon wrote: Joves, My set up is quite simple: I use two color corrected lights set at about 45 degree angle towards the painting. I usually set the exposure in A (aperture mode) using the jpeg format. I've ordered a Hoya Pro1 Circular Polarizer and will get back to on the results. Ideally I'd like to get it right in the camera before I resort to using photoshop.

Well then I suggest a diffuser for the lights to soften it. I find that Aperture Mode over exposes, so I just shoot in manual, and adjust the exposures using the meter. In strong lighting I underexpose. You then shoot a series of photos noting how that works out for you. Also again you should shoot RAW+JepgFine. Then you may need as I said earlier that you will need to probably adjust you color setting to Vivid, and see how the stock settings do, or do a custom setting in that. It will be in your manual on how to do it. Also I would set the lens to f/8 for it since that is as a rule the real sweetest spot for almost every lenses f-stop. It is digital so experimenting is the fun part. :cheer:

6 years 7 months ago #541577 by effron
I agree with Joves...I'd forget the polarizer and soften and angle the light. Shoot, analyze, adjust and shoot until you have the exposure. Don't totally blow off photoshop either....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541589 by garyrhook
What they said above. Soften and low angles. 

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #542793 by Daimon
I finally received the polarizing filter and there wasn't really any improvement for the final image.  However, this time I added more light 
which helped somewhat in subduing the overall "blotchiness". Should add that I used diffusers for the lights from the beginning. 

That said, I noticed that the camera still seems to overly separate the colors, than what is seen by the eye.  In photoshop I desaturated the colors a tad which helped a great deal, but I still had to "doctor" the colors somewhat to match - approximately - the original colors. 

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.  

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #542801 by Joves
You are welcome.
I have not shot a lot of art work, unless you count graffiti, which is really bright for the most part. So I guess you will almost always need to tweak the colors to get them right. You can also play with you cameras settings to influence how it renders colors. Just play with it, and see what works best.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024