Is this a compliment?

6 years 6 months ago #545425 by Monica Martinez
Since I started photography, I often hear people tell me, "You have really good shots, you must have a really nice camera."
I don't know if  shall take it as a compliment or not.

6 years 6 months ago #545433 by Screamin Scott
Just people's false assumption about cameras....They don't know any better.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #545435 by Joves
:agree:
Yeah when I hear that, I love to say that is a pretty mouth you have, it forms words really well.
In all seriousness it is the whole the majority of people are mindless, and fall for the it is the equipment garbage. I remember the Minolta ad with some tennis player shooting photos with a film Slr, and saying it was so easy anyone could do it. I at that time knew I would never buy a Minolta. Also not long after Saturday Night Live had Eddie Murphy impersonate Stevie Wonder using the camera, and taking photos, and every subject was chopped off, it was hilarious.

6 years 6 months ago #545441 by effron
Yes, take it as a compliment....they don't know any better.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #545536 by Monica Martinez

Just people's false assumption about cameras....They don't know any better.

Yeah! I agree with this. 

6 years 6 months ago #545537 by Monica Martinez

Yeah when I hear that, I love to say that is a pretty mouth you have, it forms words really well.
In all seriousness it is the whole the majority of people are mindless, and fall for the it is the equipment garbage. I remember the Minolta ad with some tennis player shooting photos with a film Slr, and saying it was so easy anyone could do it. I at that time knew I would never buy a Minolta. Also not long after Saturday Night Live had Eddie Murphy impersonate Stevie Wonder using the camera, and taking photos, and every subject was chopped off, it was hilarious.

This is hilarious! This is a great anecdote. I would want to say that as well.

6 years 6 months ago #545538 by Monica Martinez

Yes, take it as a compliment....they don't know any better.

I just smile most of the time. But I will take it as a compliment from now on... 

6 years 6 months ago #545540 by Rohan Tushar
I just brush it off! True, they don't know any better. 

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #545574 by Bryston3bsst
I take these kinds of comments as a compliment in the sense that it's my work that people are looking at. And, as mentioned above, they don't realize that it's not the camera that takes a great picture. So, in their ignorance, they're actually kind of insulting you because you are the person responsible for making the picture they are looking at, not the camera. The camera is simply a tool that allows you and your eye to create images that attract people's attention.

I always loved this:

“A group of artists are invited for dinner by a famous chef.
In greeting the photographer, the chef comments:
I love your photos, they’re wonderful, you must have a very expensive
camera. The photographer doesn’t reply and walks into the dining room. 
                                                                                                                                                After dinner the photographer approaches the chef and says:
Dinner was sensational, very exquisite flavors, a true work of art,
you must have a very expensive stove.”

6 years 6 months ago #545598 by PhotoViking

Bryston3bsst wrote: “After dinner the photographer approaches the chef and says:
Dinner was sensational, very exquisite flavors, a true work of art,
you must have a very expensive stove.”

I was about to bring that - you beat me to it.....

Can be varied:
"You are an excellent driver, you must have a very expensive car"
"Excellent craftsmanship, you must have some very expensive tools"
"A brilliant novel you've written, you must have a very expensive typewriter"

How come so many think it's all about the camera? :huh:

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #545631 by Monica Martinez

I just brush it off! True, they don't know any better. 

I thought I was the only one! I really wanted to share this experience before. thanks to this community I was able to voice it out.

6 years 6 months ago #545635 by itstiffanie
Oh gosh I found this so funny haha

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #545680 by Monica Martinez

Oh gosh I found this so funny haha

Indeed, it can be funny sometimes. These guys have really interesting ideas.

6 years 6 months ago #547442 by joirv
hahaha, nice rebuttal Joves

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #547460 by tgkelly
I take it as a compliment and reply that I taught it everything it knows as I'm walking away. Leaves them wondering.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024