How to price an event?

6 years 6 months ago #547448 by Kira Minori
Hello guys!
I have a photography gig next month. It's formal party with around 100 guests. I am still not sure how much to charge them as this is my first event gig.
How much did you charge for your first event? OR
Where do you base your charging fee?
Should I just make it cheaper? (I have read some online articles too, but some are too pricey in my view.)
Any thoughts?

6 years 6 months ago #547469 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #547518 by Kira Minori

effron wrote: petapixel.com/2016/02/26/much-photographers-charge-2016/

Thanks for the link! What about you Effron, can you share your story what you did the first time? 

6 years 6 months ago #547596 by icepics
Look up PPA or asmp.org for info. on contracts, licensing usage, etc. Both I think have links to the same resource guide for determining pricing. ASMP did have a 'paperwork' share where working pros gave examples of actual invoices for jobs they did. (The site's been revised and I'm not sure if it's still on there.) Licensing should be for a specific time period and for specific purposes.

After this it sounds like you may need to get in some learning and practice on doing events before doing any more 'gigs' (people on message boards seem to be the ones using that term). You probably don't know what you don't know. If you go to community events where it's permitted to bring cameras you could think about how you'd shoot it if you were photographing it for a client.

Find out ahead of time what will be happening when and where so you get photos of the significant parts of the event. Go early, get photos of table decorations, etc. before people have purses or programs on the tables (although that can make for good photos or messy photos, it depends). Find out if there are any particular dignitaries, or sponsor signs that you need to photograph.

Working the event, keep an eye out around/behind you for wait staff coming thru with trays, people milling around. Stand where you won't be blocking guests' view of the stage or podium or head table. Frame shots 'cleanly' - you need to see everything in the frame and make sure you're not chopping off people or lettering on signs, etc. or getting things sticking into the side or corners of the frame. You need to work efficiently as things happen and need to know your camera like the back of your hand.

The people working cheap seem to be the amateurs with cameras. You may want to charge on the lower end of the range of pricing in your area starting out, but going real cheap probably will mean eventually having to figure out how to raise your pricing someday. But skill level has to be at a pro level to charge at a pro rate and be competitive.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #547668 by Kira Minori

icepics wrote: Look up PPA or asmp.org for info. on contracts, licensing usage, etc. Both I think have links to the same resource guide for determining pricing. ASMP did have a 'paperwork' share where working pros gave examples of actual invoices for jobs they did. (The site's been revised and I'm not sure if it's still on there.) Licensing should be for a specific time period and for specific purposes.

After this it sounds like you may need to get in some learning and practice on doing events before doing any more 'gigs' (people on message boards seem to be the ones using that term). You probably don't know what you don't know. If you go to community events where it's permitted to bring cameras you could think about how you'd shoot it if you were photographing it for a client.

Find out ahead of time what will be happening when and where so you get photos of the significant parts of the event. Go early, get photos of table decorations, etc. before people have purses or programs on the tables (although that can make for good photos or messy photos, it depends). Find out if there are any particular dignitaries, or sponsor signs that you need to photograph.

Working the event, keep an eye out around/behind you for wait staff coming thru with trays, people milling around. Stand where you won't be blocking guests' view of the stage or podium or head table. Frame shots 'cleanly' - you need to see everything in the frame and make sure you're not chopping off people or lettering on signs, etc. or getting things sticking into the side or corners of the frame. You need to work efficiently as things happen and need to know your camera like the back of your hand.

The people working cheap seem to be the amateurs with cameras. You may want to charge on the lower end of the range of pricing in your area starting out, but going real cheap probably will mean eventually having to figure out how to raise your pricing someday. But skill level has to be at a pro level to charge at a pro rate and be competitive.

This is really cool. I think you should make an article out of this. It will definitely help a lot more people. I will bear these things in mind. Thank you so much. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024