P-Mode

6 years 6 months ago #548633 by Stephen Graham
Is it okay to use P-Mode? Would it hamper my improvement in skills if I keep using it?

6 years 6 months ago #548652 by Paris Gal
Ask Ken Rockwell, P mode = Professional mode

:rofl:

I personally don't use this mode much, I'm pretty much shooting in Aperture priority or Manual mode.  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548685 by garyrhook

Stephen Graham wrote: Is it okay to use P-Mode? Would it hamper my improvement in skills if I keep using it?

No.

Yes.

That's automatic mode, where the camera makes all the decisions. How can you progress unless you take control and take risks?

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #548688 by Bryston3bsst
Is it ok?

Of course it's ok. It's your camera and your pictures. You can shoot however you like.

Will it hamper your improvement?

No, it won't hamper it. It will end it.

It's very tempting to use the auto modes as you don't have to do anything. Point and shoot. Your pictures will come out perfectly each time. Perfectly average. Just like everyone else's.

However.......if you want pictures that make people look at them for more than 5 or 10 seconds.......if you want pictures that others want hanging on their walls......if you want your pictures to be published........the auto modes will not get you there.

The whole idea is for you to see your picture before you even lift the camera to your eye. You already know what you want, the next step is to be able to tell your camera what you want it to do. As long as the camera is making decisions, the picture that you saw will never make it to the card.

The only thing that will make you a better photographer is experimentation, practice and looking at lots of failed pictures that you shot. But the really cool part about looking at all of those failures is that with each one you just learned something. I realize it can be frustrating and there will be times when you're truly ready to give up. But the successes will come. More and more frequently.

6 years 6 months ago #548689 by KENT MELTON
Agree, you want to have as much control over your camera as you can.  So heck no to P mode, stick with Manual if you want to grow as a photographer. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548707 by effron
You can use any mode you want, its your camera. I'm amused by those that sing about "auto" mode, always shoot in manual and still use AF. Use anything to get a good shot, no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548722 by MYoung
I love how Fro Photo rags on Ken Rockwell and his opinion of P used by professionals only.  

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548757 by Stephen Graham

Paris Gal wrote: Ask Ken Rockwell, P mode = Professional mode

:rofl:

I personally don't use this mode much, I'm pretty much shooting in Aperture priority or Manual mode.  

Right! Thanks for this. In contrast, I keep using this a lot.

6 years 6 months ago #548758 by Stephen Graham

garyrhook wrote:

Stephen Graham wrote: Is it okay to use P-Mode? Would it hamper my improvement in skills if I keep using it?

No.

Yes.

That's automatic mode, where the camera makes all the decisions. How can you progress unless you take control and take risks?

I understand. I guess it's time to change. Do you have any suggestion where to start?

6 years 6 months ago #548759 by Stephen Graham

Bryston3bsst wrote: Is it ok?

Of course it's ok. It's your camera and your pictures. You can shoot however you like.

Will it hamper your improvement?

No, it won't hamper it. It will end it.

It's very tempting to use the auto modes as you don't have to do anything. Point and shoot. Your pictures will come out perfectly each time. Perfectly average. Just like everyone else's.

However.......if you want pictures that make people look at them for more than 5 or 10 seconds.......if you want pictures that others want hanging on their walls......if you want your pictures to be published........the auto modes will not get you there.

The whole idea is for you to see your picture before you even lift the camera to your eye. You already know what you want, the next step is to be able to tell your camera what you want it to do. As long as the camera is making decisions, the picture that you saw will never make it to the card.

The only thing that will make you a better photographer is experimentation, practice and looking at lots of failed pictures that you shot. But the really cool part about looking at all of those failures is that with each one you just learned something. I realize it can be frustrating and there will be times when you're truly ready to give up. But the successes will come. More and more frequently.

This is so insightful! Thanks for Brys! 

6 years 6 months ago #548760 by Stephen Graham

KENT MELTON wrote: Agree, you want to have as much control over your camera as you can.  So heck no to P mode, stick with Manual if you want to grow as a photographer. 

That's my next move. Thanks! 

6 years 6 months ago #548761 by Stephen Graham

effron wrote: You can use any mode you want, its your camera. I'm amused by those that sing about "auto" mode, always shoot in manual and still use AF. Use anything to get a good shot, no?

Indeed, I guess there are always two sides in every coin... 

6 years 6 months ago #548762 by Stephen Graham

MYoung wrote: I love how Fro Photo rags on Ken Rockwell and his opinion of P used by professionals only.  

I have not fully studied it yet. But I will read about it today. 

6 years 6 months ago #548840 by garyrhook

Stephen Graham wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

No.

Yes.

I understand. I guess it's time to change. Do you have any suggestion where to start?

Sure. Go through your photos and be merciless. Find the ones you like the very best. 

Then study the settings the camera chose for exposure. Learn from that. Then try to recreate the results using one of the other modes (start with aperture priority, IMO). Learn how different apertures affect the image. ISO and shutter speed are, I think, secondary, but you'll need to learn about them, too, and how different values are useful in different situations.

Then get out there and experiment. It's digital, and you already own the camera.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #548851 by Bryston3bsst

Stephen Graham wrote:

The most important thing to understand is the exposure triangle, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Know how each effects your final image and, most importantly, how each effects the other. Any time you change one of these three elements the other two are effected. And......in most cases, because you have changed one of these, you probably will have to make changes in either or both of the others, depending on where you want your picture to go.

This is where experimentation comes in. Using the light meter in your camera, set up a shot of whatever you choose to the best of your ability and look at your results. Now, change one of the three and shoot again and look at what has changed. You will begin to understand how all of these three bear on your pictures and how you can then begin to use these changes to shape any picture to match what you originally envisioned in your head when you made the decision to take any given picture.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024