Quick Question

2 years 7 months ago #548647 by Joshua Atkins
I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #548680 by Bryston3bsst
I wouldn't think so, but if there is nothing on the card that you care about just reformat it.

I and probably most everyone reformats the card each time it's put it back in the camera. At least you should.  ;)

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #548702 by Shadowfixer1

Joshua Atkins wrote: I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Yes, you will need to format it. The Canon and Nikon file structures are different. You may be able to swap cards within the same brand. It doesn't always work then. Formatting sets up the file structure for that camera.  It depends on the camera models involved. I tried my card formatted in an Olympus in a Sony A7 and it freaked out. When I put it back into the Olympus after formatting on the Sony, the Olympus put up a real stink. I couldn't format the card in the Olympus until I erased all the Sony files and folders in the computer. Other people may have a different experience. 

2 years 7 months ago #548706 by effron
Randy is correct, definitely need to format in camera.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 years 7 months ago #548763 by Joshua Atkins

Bryston3bsst wrote: I wouldn't think so, but if there is nothing on the card that you care about just reformat it.

I and probably most everyone reformats the card each time it's put it back in the camera. At least you should.  ;)

yes. I did reformat it on the computer but it's still an error. Lesson learned: never forget your SD Cards. 

2 years 7 months ago #548764 by Joshua Atkins

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Joshua Atkins wrote: I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Yes, you will need to format it. The Canon and Nikon file structures are different. You may be able to swap cards within the same brand. It doesn't always work then. Formatting sets up the file structure for that camera.  It depends on the camera models involved. I tried my card formatted in an Olympus in a Sony A7 and it freaked out. When I put it back into the Olympus after formatting on the Sony, the Olympus put up a real stink. I couldn't format the card in the Olympus until I erased all the Sony files and folders in the computer. Other people may have a different experience. 

I did reformat it on the computer but it's still an error. I guess I belong to those other people. lol

2 years 7 months ago #548766 by Joshua Atkins

effron wrote: Randy is correct, definitely need to format in camera.....

I already did but it didn't work. Anyway, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

2 years 7 months ago #549193 by rdubreuil
Don't format your cards on the computer, it will not give you the correct structuring for your camera, always and only format your cards in camera.

2 years 7 months ago #549211 by Shadowfixer1
Do not format cards in the computer. Format in camera only.

2 years 7 months ago #549214 by PhotoViking

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Do not format cards in the computer. Format in camera only.

- in the camera in which it is to be used! ;)

Festina lente!
Photo Comments

2 years 7 months ago #549261 by Joshua Atkins

rdubreuil wrote: Don't format your cards on the computer, it will not give you the correct structuring for your camera, always and only format your cards in camera.

I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminders. Let me try it again. 

2 years 7 months ago #549262 by Joshua Atkins

Yes Sir! Will not happen again. 

2 years 7 months ago #549263 by Joshua Atkins

PhotoViking wrote:

- in the camera in which it is to be used! ;)

Yes Sir! Noted! I will try it again. 

2 years 7 months ago #549289 by garyrhook

Joshua Atkins wrote:

Well, see that it doesn't. :watching:

Photo Comments

2 years 6 months ago #549909 by Joshua Atkins

garyrhook wrote:

Joshua Atkins wrote:

Well, see that it doesn't. :watching:

:thumbsup:

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic landscape photography tips, you'll be able to plan and prepare your outings so you can start taking better photos.

Jun 03, 2020

The Canon 5D Mark IV might be showing its age a bit, but it's still a great camera for 2020, particularly for shooting HD video.

Jun 03, 2020

The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drones I've ever owned, and it's even better with these must-have Mavic 2 Pro accessories.

Jun 03, 2020

Increasing your photography income is something that could be easier than you think. Check out these ideas for making extra money so you can improve your bottom line.

Jun 03, 2020

To shoot nude photography takes time, dedication, and practice. Get a few practical tips in this introduction to nude photography.

Jun 03, 2020

Variable ND filters aren't for everyone, but they do have many benefits for photographers. In this guide, learn about the pros of variable ND filters, the cons, the difference between variable ND filters and fixed ND filters, and more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020