Quick Question

1 year 11 months ago #548647 by Joshua Atkins
I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 11 months ago #548680 by Bryston3bsst
I wouldn't think so, but if there is nothing on the card that you care about just reformat it.

I and probably most everyone reformats the card each time it's put it back in the camera. At least you should.  ;)

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #548702 by Shadowfixer1

Joshua Atkins wrote: I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Yes, you will need to format it. The Canon and Nikon file structures are different. You may be able to swap cards within the same brand. It doesn't always work then. Formatting sets up the file structure for that camera.  It depends on the camera models involved. I tried my card formatted in an Olympus in a Sony A7 and it freaked out. When I put it back into the Olympus after formatting on the Sony, the Olympus put up a real stink. I couldn't format the card in the Olympus until I erased all the Sony files and folders in the computer. Other people may have a different experience. 

1 year 11 months ago #548706 by effron
Randy is correct, definitely need to format in camera.....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #548763 by Joshua Atkins

Bryston3bsst wrote: I wouldn't think so, but if there is nothing on the card that you care about just reformat it.

I and probably most everyone reformats the card each time it's put it back in the camera. At least you should.  ;)

yes. I did reformat it on the computer but it's still an error. Lesson learned: never forget your SD Cards. 

1 year 11 months ago #548764 by Joshua Atkins

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Joshua Atkins wrote: I am using Nikon D7500 and I forgot to bring my SD Cards and the only one available is in canon 70D but when I tried it, there's an Error. Do I need to reformat it for it to work on my cam?

Yes, you will need to format it. The Canon and Nikon file structures are different. You may be able to swap cards within the same brand. It doesn't always work then. Formatting sets up the file structure for that camera.  It depends on the camera models involved. I tried my card formatted in an Olympus in a Sony A7 and it freaked out. When I put it back into the Olympus after formatting on the Sony, the Olympus put up a real stink. I couldn't format the card in the Olympus until I erased all the Sony files and folders in the computer. Other people may have a different experience. 

I did reformat it on the computer but it's still an error. I guess I belong to those other people. lol

1 year 11 months ago #548766 by Joshua Atkins

effron wrote: Randy is correct, definitely need to format in camera.....

I already did but it didn't work. Anyway, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

1 year 11 months ago #549193 by rdubreuil
Don't format your cards on the computer, it will not give you the correct structuring for your camera, always and only format your cards in camera.

1 year 11 months ago #549211 by Shadowfixer1
Do not format cards in the computer. Format in camera only.

1 year 11 months ago #549214 by PhotoViking

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Do not format cards in the computer. Format in camera only.

- in the camera in which it is to be used! ;)

Festina lente!
Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #549261 by Joshua Atkins

rdubreuil wrote: Don't format your cards on the computer, it will not give you the correct structuring for your camera, always and only format your cards in camera.

I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminders. Let me try it again. 

1 year 11 months ago #549262 by Joshua Atkins

Yes Sir! Will not happen again. 

1 year 11 months ago #549263 by Joshua Atkins

PhotoViking wrote:

- in the camera in which it is to be used! ;)

Yes Sir! Noted! I will try it again. 

1 year 11 months ago #549289 by garyrhook

Joshua Atkins wrote:

Well, see that it doesn't. :watching:

Photo Comments

1 year 11 months ago #549909 by Joshua Atkins

garyrhook wrote:

Joshua Atkins wrote:

Well, see that it doesn't. :watching:

:thumbsup:

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Daniil Kuželev on Unsplash The Tokyo police believe a pop star's fan found her by zooming in on a selfie the pop star...

Oct 11, 2019