Strange question from client: can you blow up a photo from a Polaroid camera?

6 years 6 months ago #548852 by Colorado Mike
I told the client I was pretty sure the answer was no, seeing that there isn't a negative of digital file.  But what the heck, I'll ask here in case I'm completely wrong about this. 

So, is there a way to blow up a photo taken from a Polaroid camera?  

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548856 by Bryston3bsst
Funny you should post this......I had someone give me two Polaroids the other day and ask the same thing.

I've scanned prints many times with surprisingly good results but I've never tried it with a Polaroid. 

I think the old adage applies here......garbage in, garbage out.

If the Polaroid is decent (as a Polaroid can be) to start with then I'm sure you could enlarge it to some degree.

6 years 6 months ago #548866 by effron
Yup, it can be enlarged but will you be happy with the lack of quality?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548874 by icepics
It would be possible, but it would depend on the original. I've scanned in mine and could print out a copy in whatever size, although I don't know that I could go too large.

If it's an older Polaroid it could be decent quality originally, but I don't know how well it would have held up over time. Probably would depend on how it had been stored.

The current 'integral' film by The Impossible Project, now rebranded under the Polaroid name, is different than the original Polaroid technology. I find the images to be softer especially using a plastic camera/lens; I get better quality with my SX-70 with glass lens and the ability to focus. The scans to me don't capture the quality of the originals, which I think is due to the thickness of the photos (which are a packet of the film, negative, emulsion and chemistry that squeezes thru rollers when ejected).

If it's an image shot using an older Polaroid Land camera on peel apart film (that Fuji made) those are different quality. When you peel them apart you get a positive photo and a negative, but the negative is too dark to see much. Supposedly it's possible using some combination of bleach and I don't know what to remove the black backing to get a usable negative. Haven't tried it. I can't remember offhand if I've printed out any of my scans or what size, I'd have to go look. But those being on paper with a separate neg they don't have the thickness of the 'integral' Polaroids and are different quality.

Find out what the original is like and what type it is, and it could if nothing else be scanned and reprinted digitally as maybe a 5x7 or 8x10 - but the quality likely won't be sharp enough to enlarge a lot and get a good quality copy.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #548881 by Peter Nunez
You might be able to pull it off if going on canvas, but only to a certain point.  Just not much you can do with such a small image size. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #549192 by rdubreuil
Only two options, scan the image or 1:1 reproduction with a macro lens.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024