Best Mirrorless Camera?

6 years 3 months ago #557829 by [email protected]
Here are some things I am looking to get out of a camera:

- Low light 
-Time lapse (I am not against using  Intervalometer ) though I am unsure how they work haha
- Would love to shoot movement on the side (least important)
- RAW and Jpeg
- $800 and under 
- What do you think about Canon Gx1 Mark II vs all the other Canon Gx5, Gx7 and Gx9?  What is the difference exactly?  I know sensor size is something to look for in low light but the rest of the information is sort of over my head when comparing these.

-Also, can you timelapse with a camera that isn't weather proof on dry nights without worrying? ... Is it mainly a concern with rain and snow?

Any suggestions?  I am open to other brands as well. 

6 years 3 months ago #557851 by Tim Dordeck
My wife has the PowerShot G7 X Mark II and loves the camera.  I want to say that was mid $600's. 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #557875 by garyrhook
The Canon Gx1 is not a mirrorless camera. It's a P&S. "Mirrorless" implies a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses. That camera has a larger sensor and a fixed lens. It does capture 14-bit RAW.

Intervalometers are inexpensive. You can add one later if the camera doesn't have one. Normally, you read the manual to find out if that is a feature of a particular model.

If you want a real mirrorless, Consider a Panasonic G7 with a 14-42. Inexpensive and opens up a lot of options for lenses. Better ISO. 4k video. RAW files. Works great (I have one).

You can shoot under any conditions you want, you just have to take precautions. As for weather sealing, I spent 8 hours outside one day, shooting jousting, in 45 degree misty weather with a non-weather sealed Nikon D5100 with no ill consequences. It's more for dust and actual water, IMO.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #557921 by JaneK
Are you able to use your Nikon lenses on that G7 Gary? 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #557947 by garyrhook
No, I have not. There are adapters for Nikon F mount to 4/3 systems, though. They'd make the lens manual focus.

There are many lens choices available from Olympus, etc for mirrorless systems. I only have one general purpose lens that suffices for my video work.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #557950 by KCook
Gary is right, those Canons listed in the OP are not mirrorless. Such 1" compacts can work Ok in low light for wide shots.

I like the Panasonic G7 too, nice prices on those right now.

For low light mirrorless Fujifilm and Sony get more mention that the other mirrorless brands. But that does not mean that M4/3 is hopeless in low light. In any event, with mirrorless, for low light, you will want to move beyond the kit lens that comes with the camera.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 3 months ago #558062 by effron
My son has a Sony a6500, and its the "best" mirrorless he has.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558074 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: "Mirrorless" implies a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses.

Ummmm... no it doesn't. Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Sony would beg to differ. They all make mirrorless cameras. Nikon "1" series, Canon "M"series, Fuji "X" series and Sony "A" series are all mirrorless. I would suggest that the name Fuji and Sony come to most people's minds when they hear mirrorless. 
6 years 3 months ago #558085 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: "Mirrorless" implies a 4/3 sensor and interchangeable lenses.

Ummmm... no it doesn't. Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Sony would beg to differ. They all make mirrorless cameras. Nikon "1" series, Canon "M"series, Fuji "X" series and Sony "A" series are all mirrorless. I would suggest that the name Fuji and Sony come to most people's minds when they hear mirrorless. 

My bad. You are, of course, correct. I didn't think that through. I'd go edit my post, but folks don't bother reading all of the comments anyway... :whistle:

That aside, I think everything else was relevant?

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661689 by Max-Muller
wow, thank you for the information :)

4 years 6 months ago #662235 by michaelsmith
If you are looking for a point and shoot, I recommend the G7X Mark III. Beautiful camera, really.
If you are looking for a mirrorless, I would recommend the M6 Mark II or the EOS R.

4 years 6 months ago #662458 by Fess Walker
LOL this thread is over a year old.  I would think they picked up something by now.  Might be wrong, my father in law is slow in making decisions as well.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 6 months ago #662588 by Richard Taylor
Sony a7R IV  is one pretty sweat camera if you ask me.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024