Compact Flash Card vs SD card?

6 years 3 months ago #558221 by bones1
Hi everyone,
    Can someone opine as to whether there is a benefit to spending a little more money (or 2x as much), and going with a fast CF card, say 160 MB/s, vs a regular Pro series Sandisk card, or whoever, at say 90MB/s? 
    Are these card speeds going to make a noticeable difference, when I am shooting, say RAW pics in a burst, with a 35mm f /1.8 , or 17-50 f/2.8, which are already pretty quick. But I dont think I have achieved 6fps yet, which is what the D7200 is rated at. Is the memory card the missing link? What do you pro's, and advanced use? Thanks.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #558226 by effron
www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/1404380/...ick-the-best-microsd

The lens, aperture, ISO, etc has nothing to do with write speed of a memory card. What you  want  depends how you'll use it.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558263 by garyrhook
Performance is dependent upon how fast the camera can dump it's memory buffer to the card. Yes, a faster card will help, but only to a point.

Unfortunately, you're probably not going to ever find an apples-to-apples comparison in a single product. I wouldn't even expect that a D810 would provide definitive information.

You'll never write 6 fps to the card. That shooting rate is what the camera can do, and buffer internally. Nothing more.

CF is likely dead... Nikon chose the newer SD format for the D850 and eschewed the CF slot. I'd not bother giving it any further thought.

That said, you have a D7200, which only has SD. Why are you asking?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558289 by bones1
Well Gary, because I'm an apparent idiot!! I thought the CF card was the same size as the SD card. not requiring an additional slot. kind of an upgrade since the D7000 line went into production. Well I don't have to think about that any more!! Thank you.:whistle:

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558303 by garyrhook

bones1 wrote: Well Gary, because I'm an apparent idiot!! I thought the CF card was the same size as the SD card. not requiring an additional slot. kind of an upgrade since the D7000 line went into production. Well I don't have to think about that any more!! Thank you.:whistle:

You're hardly an idiot. You didn't have some information, just like I didn't. Thanks for the follow-up.

Yeah, CF cards are large (which is probably why they can go fast). But flimsy. If I needed more than 6 fps I'd get the D850, which has a huge buffer. And the battery grip for an increased frame rate.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024