Girl killed while posing for photo at the Seven Sisters clifftop

6 years 2 months ago #568286 by Carry
This morning I was reading about people posing on train tracks and getting killed, which I don't understand how that is possible considering how loud trains are.  Then I was reading about this poor South Korean girl who apparently was jumping up and down near the edge of the cliff at Seven Sisters clifftop and feel 200 feet to her death.  

What get's me here, is that you had 2 people at a minimal that should have used better common sense.  The photographer taking the photo, and the girl.  Someone could have warned her that she was way to close.  

What a shame, I hate hearing about stuff like this.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/student-fell-death-seven-sisters-jumping-for-photo-hyewon-kim-east-sussex-a7997996.html

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568293 by Tony Bisson
Very unfortunate!  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #568314 by effron
Darwinists abound, me thinks....

A bit confusing was the line about the warning signs being in "English only"....:S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568340 by Screamin Scott
Sad, but it makes me think of the adage "you can't fix stupid"

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568341 by Randall McNabb
Things like this befound me.  I feel for the family and loved ones, but seriously I struggle with why do people chance life with acts of careless stupidity?!  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568346 by I shoot RAW
Tragic considering how this could have been prevented 

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568354 by Paris Gal
:huh:   Why? 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #568368 by Carry
Agree, that is just a shame.  Life out the window, all for a silly photo gone bad. Still shocked with this one. 

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568556 by icepics
That was a shame. I don't know why people get so occupied with taking a picture that they seem to just not think or pay enough attention to what they're doing.

This didn't involve a photographer, apparently the student went there by herself and had a couple of passersby take her picture (who were also from her country but apparently they didn't know each other). The way often people take pictures is looking at the person's face and don't always frame the whole person, I don't know if they were looking down at the ground and may not have realized how close to the edge she was getting. (The article in The Independent quoted The Daily Mail tabloid so who knows how accurate this article is.)

I didn't get either why it was mentioned that the sign wasn't in their language, but I don't know where tourists come from that visit there or how practical it would be to have signs in every language possible.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568558 by icepics
And I think what happens with trains is the way sound carries it can be hard to tell how far away it is. If tracks curve you may not be able to see how close it is. Obviously doing a photoshoot or even just taking some pictures with a cell out on train tracks isn't the best idea.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568571 by effron

icepics wrote: And I think what happens with trains is the way sound carries it can be hard to tell how far away it is. If tracks curve you may not be able to see how close it is. Obviously doing a photoshoot or even just taking some pictures with a cell out on train tracks isn't the best idea.

Hard to believe they can't feel the ground shake though. I'll bet a lot of accidents could be due to  misjudging how fast those trains are moving....For not hearing them, I'll blame the doppler effect......:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568588 by Nancy Hait
I grew up next to a set of train tracks and believe me, you can hear the train coming AND feel it. 

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568990 by Alfonso Camil
Tragic to hear things like this.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #569011 by KCook
I spent several years living on a rugged mountain top. But none of it was as scary looking as those cliffs!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 2 months ago #569012 by Marin Chi

icepics wrote: That was a shame. I don't know why people get so occupied with taking a picture that they seem to just not think or pay enough attention to what they're doing.

This didn't involve a photographer, apparently the student went there by herself and had a couple of passersby take her picture (who were also from her country but apparently they didn't know each other). The way often people take pictures is looking at the person's face and don't always frame the whole person, I don't know if they were looking down at the ground and may not have realized how close to the edge she was getting. (The article in The Independent quoted The Daily Mail tabloid so who knows how accurate this article is.)

I didn't get either why it was mentioned that the sign wasn't in their language, but I don't know where tourists come from that visit there or how practical it would be to have signs in every language possible.

:agree:    

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024