From Nikon DF to?

6 years 1 month ago #575801 by nattacan
Hello! I own a Nikon DF since a few years back. Originally bought cause I own a Nikon Fm3a and shooting analogue is the reason I started shooting at all thus holds a special place in my heart. Recently I have been thinking of making the choice to switch to another DSLR with video and wifi option. Although I suppose Nikon is the "easier" choice since you can still use same lenses as with the Fm3a. Nevertheless, I prefer the distinctive colour that Canon has with skin tone and such but a bit hesitant to use that as the only reason for the big switch. 

An imbecile question perhaps, but keeping a long story short, is there DSLR camera out there that possesses the "feel" of analogue film although being digital? (Yes, I do also use Lightroom) I shoot more people and street photography, lines and shapes, rather than landscapes, nature and animals.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Been looking into>
Canon 6D Mark ii (although reviews are mixed)
Sony α7 III 
Fuji xt20

6 years 1 month ago #575916 by Kayla Deis
For me personally I would go with the Sony α7 III.  The camera comes highly recommended, Sony has a ton of glass for it.  And it feels good in my hands.  

Have you handled any of these yet?  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #575933 by garyrhook
When you say "distinctive color in skin tones" you mean "red", right?

You also realize that you could compare a film medium format to a digital medium format, and they'd be very similar?

In short, I think the Df is unique. It's still being sold. If it's not meeting your needs with respect to "analog feel", nothing else will.

Does this "feel" really make a difference, or is it all in your mindset? And if it really matters, why not go back to film? Manufacturers are starting to produce product again.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #575946 by Overread
I wonder if Nikon plans to update the DF with some newer specs?  

Any rumors in rumorville?  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #575955 by effron

Overread wrote: I wonder if Nikon plans to update the DF with some newer specs?  

Any rumors in rumorville?  

I'm sure they will, right after the D300/s upgrade.....B)

(nope)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #575957 by garyrhook

effron wrote: I'm sure they will, right after the D300/s upgrade.....B)

*snort*

I thought that was called the D500?

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #576074 by effron
The D500 is closer to a D7200 upgrade. If you ever used and got familiar with the D300/s you'd see there was no upgrade to that. It was a crop sensor in a D700 body.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #576087 by KCook

garyrhook wrote: When you say "distinctive color in skin tones" you mean "red", right?

You also realize that you could compare a film medium format to a digital medium format, and they'd be very similar?

In short, I think the Df is unique. It's still being sold. If it's not meeting your needs with respect to "analog feel", nothing else will.

Does this "feel" really make a difference, or is it all in your mindset? And if it really matters, why not go back to film? Manufacturers are starting to produce product again.

Excellent points :beerbang:

Fuji also scores high points for the appearance of the old film gear.  Frankly, I don't think the feel is quite the same, but at least they do have that look.  Another real "looker" is the Olympus PEN-F, if you have fond memories of Oly cameras (I plead guilty).

For street photography Fuji and that PEN-F should be at the top of the list.  The X-T20 has made a big splash.  I rented one briefly, was not all that impressed, but there are now lots of different Fuji bodies to sort through.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 1 month ago #576100 by Prago
Haven't heard anything on a new DF, does seem like this camera is really positioned for an update.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #576181 by effron
There's a rumor the DF upgrade will be a full frame mirrorless. I might have an interest in that....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #576199 by nattacan
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Yeah I went to a close camera shop here in Tokyo and it fits perfectly in my hands so kind of leaning towards Sony at the moment! Never owned Sony so if you have any recommendations of lenses, I'll be very grateful :)

6 years 1 month ago #576334 by Stanly
Full frame mirrorless?  I'd buy that myself.  

OP - what is available right now from your choices would be Sony α7 III  for me.  

Keep us posted and welcome here! 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #576383 by Don Granger
+1 put me down as interested too Nikon

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #577854 by Charles-Nil
Hi, the Nikon Df is a strange bird in cameraworld.  Being 57y now, I started with a Nikkormat, to be followed by a Nikon F photomic when I was a student. Instead of surfing on the internet (the Df: you hate it or you love it) I decided a year ago to buy a second hand Df and I don't regret it a single minute. User interface is as on the old film cameras with auto iso as a bonus. I am a (semipro) photographer, not a filmer so I never missed the video option and will never miss it either. Don't expect any camera to fulfill all the needs of all situations to be captured. As a travel or documentary camera together with the old lenses I don't need more, certainly if you like to shoot black and white with an analogue look of your pictures: The Df stays and no need for a second generation for me. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024