Rude Clients

5 years 10 months ago #586996 by Cristy Fields
When you have a client that is just never pleasant and always rude to you.  Will you continue, or do you have a point that you just call it a day?  I have a client who I just picked up and for the first time, really thinking about calling it quits with here.  She is always rude, talking about how high my rates are, "she should have been a photographer, photography is so simple a monkey could do it.  All your doing is pressing a button and you want to charge me for this", and it keeps going.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587000 by effron
I'd say goodbye.....Some you can't please and you shouldn't want to.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587001 by Vespista
Yep; cut her loose.
I recently had a similar experience with a food shot I did. The client reckoned he could have done better with his iPhone. When I invited him to try, after 30 minutes of faffing around, he agreed it's not as easy as it looks!
I still told him Thanks, but No thanks when he called again.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587007 by Cristy Fields
Thank you for the input!  Perfect!  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587010 by garyrhook
"Perhaps you'd be happier with another photographer."

Not much more to say.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587012 by Cristy Fields

garyrhook wrote: "Perhaps you'd be happier with another photographer."

Not much more to say.

he he he, believe me, I thought about saying that to her. But I was taking the high road, a VERY high road.  Now you all have given me some very nice perspective!  

BTW... I'm going to tell her that tomorrow!  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587014 by garyrhook
I will add here that I've heard stories of clients back-pedaling like crazy when called on this. No telling how yours will respond, but be prepared to (kindly) illustrate the problems by quoting her without malice or criticism. And then sum with, "when I take all of this together, I'm left with the impression that you're not happy with my work. And that's okay! I wish you all the best!"

Or similar. You don't need to stoop to her level. But you can only control so much, not her, nor her reaction. And don't be afraid of her. Maybe she just thinks that she has to control things.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587017 by Cristy Fields
All good advice Gary.  I won't.  I plan to be very professional about it.  But set a firm tone.  You all have given me great advice.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587045 by Steve Zahra
I'm reading this and the one thing that popped in my head was - 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587189 by Ian Stone
Definitely a good time to say see you later! 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587325 by icepics
You might need to let her know it doesn't seem like you're a good match for her, or that you don't seem to be the one to meet her needs/fit her budget, etc. Gary nailed it short 'n sweet! Maybe have something in mind to suggest where she can find other photographers, etc. as she may not want to accept your response. Or then again, she may just hang up! lol you never know, who knows what her issues are.

You might need to think about how and where you're marketing yourself so you can attract clients who can see the quality of your portfolio on your website, and are looking for pros who charge the going rate/competitive rates, etc. It's probably a good idea to try to minimize attracting clients who just want cheap.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587389 by Finn
Let the client know in a tactful way.  I would allow them to have a pivot in their attitude.  If they improved, great, I'll keep working with them.  If they didn't, I would let them go. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587454 by Joe Peterson
Zero tolerance for those that act as if they are more important than you.  AKA rude people.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587456 by effron
This one was worse than rude. Although I agree with some of the above advice, especially for someone still trying to make a living in this trade. I though lost patience with her type long ago and probably would have told her to buy that monkey!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024