Would you share your processing techniques with a client?

5 years 9 months ago #590542 by Richard K Photography
I have a client that I did some work for recently who has expressed they hired 2 different photographers.  Long story short, they like the processing I did on the photos I submitted more than the other photographers work.  

The client is now asking for me to show my processing techniques as they want to apply to the other photographers work. 

Now I might be off, however this strikes me a bit as little unfair, after all these are another photographers work.  And now expect me to just hand over my post processing techniques for them to use.

What do you think?

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #590550 by effron
No way would I share processing techniques with a client....Not on a bet.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #590558 by Troponin
Absolutely not. Your value to them goes down the more they know. It’s job security. 

If he presists, just tell him you hit the “Auto” button in photoshop and give a big smile. The light hearted reply might help redirect him. 

The other solution is to tell him to give you the RAW files from the other photographers and he can pay you to edit them. 

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #590560 by garyrhook
One of the first things I learned when I decided to start charging for my work was this explanation:

"You're not paying me for pictures. You're paying me for my skills."

And that holds true for any photographer, I think.

Were I in your situation, I would explain that I don't offer education or classes. I do offer processing of images, and if the client had RAW images from someone else, along with a release form allowing editing of those images, then I'd be happy to execute PP. If, after looking at them, I felt that the required raw material was there (exposure, lighting, etc).

Or I'd offer to reshoot.

But I'd not provide any service which you don't care to. You don't have to. And as for "unfair", I think the word you're looking for is "unreasonable".

If the client persists, it's a simple "I don't offer that service." No apology, just statement of fact.

Congrats on finding someone that likes your work.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590565 by icepics
Nope. I agree, you don't have to provide that service (editing). At least explain to them like Gary said, that a release/permission would necessary to edit another photographer's images. The other photographer owns the copyright to the photos and you can't edit copyrighted images without the photographer's permission.

They're on their own... you can't stop them from doing whatever they decide to do with another photographer's work but you sure don't have to do it for them.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590567 by icepics
Wait a minute, you already did work for this client? So why aren't they using your photos with your processing?

Or do you mean they're talking about a different set of photos that you took than what the other photographer did? So, they don't have to use the other photographer's images, they could contract with you to take photos to replace the ones they didn't like. Of course maybe they don't want to pay you to do that... Maybe they don't realize there will be some cost and time for someone to re-edit photos. Maybe point that out.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590582 by David Hutnik
No, not feeling the love on this one.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590655 by Happy-pixel
What?  Not a chance.   That is part of my trade, my lively hood, so sorry no.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590714 by Office Guy
Nope, wouldn't do it.  That's my lively hood.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590740 by Vespista
I wouldn't take a meal into a restaurant and ask the chef to improve it either.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024