Would you share your processing techniques with a client?

1 year 3 months ago #590542 by Richard K Photography
I have a client that I did some work for recently who has expressed they hired 2 different photographers.  Long story short, they like the processing I did on the photos I submitted more than the other photographers work.  

The client is now asking for me to show my processing techniques as they want to apply to the other photographers work. 

Now I might be off, however this strikes me a bit as little unfair, after all these are another photographers work.  And now expect me to just hand over my post processing techniques for them to use.

What do you think?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #590550 by effron
No way would I share processing techniques with a client....Not on a bet.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #590558 by Troponin
Absolutely not. Your value to them goes down the more they know. It’s job security. 

If he presists, just tell him you hit the “Auto” button in photoshop and give a big smile. The light hearted reply might help redirect him. 

The other solution is to tell him to give you the RAW files from the other photographers and he can pay you to edit them. 

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #590560 by garyrhook
One of the first things I learned when I decided to start charging for my work was this explanation:

"You're not paying me for pictures. You're paying me for my skills."

And that holds true for any photographer, I think.

Were I in your situation, I would explain that I don't offer education or classes. I do offer processing of images, and if the client had RAW images from someone else, along with a release form allowing editing of those images, then I'd be happy to execute PP. If, after looking at them, I felt that the required raw material was there (exposure, lighting, etc).

Or I'd offer to reshoot.

But I'd not provide any service which you don't care to. You don't have to. And as for "unfair", I think the word you're looking for is "unreasonable".

If the client persists, it's a simple "I don't offer that service." No apology, just statement of fact.

Congrats on finding someone that likes your work.

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590565 by icepics
Nope. I agree, you don't have to provide that service (editing). At least explain to them like Gary said, that a release/permission would necessary to edit another photographer's images. The other photographer owns the copyright to the photos and you can't edit copyrighted images without the photographer's permission.

They're on their own... you can't stop them from doing whatever they decide to do with another photographer's work but you sure don't have to do it for them.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590567 by icepics
Wait a minute, you already did work for this client? So why aren't they using your photos with your processing?

Or do you mean they're talking about a different set of photos that you took than what the other photographer did? So, they don't have to use the other photographer's images, they could contract with you to take photos to replace the ones they didn't like. Of course maybe they don't want to pay you to do that... Maybe they don't realize there will be some cost and time for someone to re-edit photos. Maybe point that out.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590582 by David Hutnik
No, not feeling the love on this one.  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590655 by Happy-pixel
What?  Not a chance.   That is part of my trade, my lively hood, so sorry no.  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590714 by Office Guy
Nope, wouldn't do it.  That's my lively hood.  

Photo Comments

1 year 3 months ago #590740 by Vespista
I wouldn't take a meal into a restaurant and ask the chef to improve it either.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Daniil Kuželev on Unsplash The Tokyo police believe a pop star's fan found her by zooming in on a selfie the pop star...

Oct 11, 2019

The Nikon Z50 is set to be announced today, and indications are that it will be an affordable, entry-level option with a price around $850 for the body only.

Oct 10, 2019

If you have a micro four-thirds camera, be sure to consult our list of the top autofocus lenses for micro four-thirds cameras before you commit to buying one.

Oct 09, 2019

Billed as the fastest Nikkor lens ever made, the Nikon Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct is big, beautiful, and will set you back $8,000.

Oct 09, 2019