Filter case - would you have made the same choice?

5 years 7 months ago #602946 by Alex
I've been using a hard case to carry around my 100x150mm filters.  The case is fantastic, however bulky and heavy.  I narrowed my search down to either the Lowepro S&F Filter Pouch 100 or the Kinesis F169 Large Grad filter pouch .  

I ended up ordering the Kinesis case, it will be here tomorrow.  Both cases had some very favorable reviews.  There were a few reviews on the Lowepro, that spoke about filters falling out.  

Would you have gone with the same or different?  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602958 by ThatNikonGuy
I actually like that orange better.  The Lowepro I'm not sure about to be frank. 

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602964 by Cristy Fields
Yeah, that looks like a nice filter case.   Will it hold the bracket too?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #602973 by effron
I have a case (can't remember brand) that is nice and holds holders and filters, but its way too big for me. I'm using a smaller Lowepro filter case, holds only the filters...The first one linked looks similar. I usually bind my holder to the outside of the case or to my backpack strap.
I need a Sherpa, and they both look big!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #602979 by Peter Nunez
Agree on the size, do they make one designed for 6 filters?

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603069 by effron

Peter Nunez wrote: Agree on the size, do they make one designed for 6 filters?

I'm using an Adorama branded case, designed for five but I use a micro fiber and double up two filters. Its as small as they can be made and still protect the filters. I love it!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603070 by effron
Actually designed for six........ www.adorama.com/gbsfp46.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603072 by Amy Porter
I don't have that many filters, so either of these would be over kill for me.  I agree, a 4-6 filter holder + bracket would be perfect.  

However out of the two, the Kinesis would be my pick.  Only because I like the color.  I don't know much about the brand and the black case is so plain.  Making the filters easier to find in the orange one.  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603095 by Greg Friedman
Alex check your PM please.  Thanks!

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603117 by Flash Steven
I believe I would have made the same selection.  The pro's for the Lowepro is that you can fit the bracket in the case.  From what I can see of the review, that Kenisis will be a little tight.  Post up your first impressions Alex.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #603258 by effron
I bought this earlier in the year.... holds filters securely, and holders...but its HUGE!
I still use my smaller, filter only cheapo....

www.amazon.com/Haida-100x100mm-100x150mm...+rectangular+filters

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603262 by ShutterPal
The reviews that speak about filters falling out would be enough for me to say heck no.  I have zero experience with the Kinesis filter case.  Honestly, I only know these guys from their lens cases.  Kinesis makes the best camera lens cases on the market.  Fair warning, they aren't cheap.  You get your money's worth in quality!

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603323 by Alex
Filter case came in yesterday and I'm super happy with this case.  I just left a video review on Amazon, so I'm guessing once that get's approved, that will be there.  

I was a little reluctant on price, as this one is priced a bit higher than the others.  At the end, when you are holding it, you know where that money was spent.  In short, this case is extremely well made.  There is great padding on front and rear, and the dividers all have felt covering them.  I could even fit a bracket in here too.  Velcro keeps the lid closed.  

I'm excited to retire my hard filter case.  Don't get me wrong, it did it's job, it's built like tank.  But it was so heavy and bulky.  

Here are some photos, loaded up.  I included shot with my D850 and 24-70mm for sense of scale:

Make: Apple
Model: iPhone X
Lens: iPhone X back dual camera 4mm f/1.8
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/11 sec
Captured: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:53pm

Make: Apple
Model: iPhone X
Lens: iPhone X back dual camera 4mm f/1.8
ISO: 40
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/20 sec
Captured: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:53pm

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 7 months ago #603334 by Stacy Craig
That interior doesn't look orange?  

BTW is that wide enough to put two 100x100mm side by side in same slot?  

Photo Comments
5 years 7 months ago #603358 by Roy Wilson
Sharp looking case Alex.  I was just looking them up, do you happen to know if they make for larger filters?  I didn't see any cases larger than the one you have.  You can't fit 150 x 150mm filters in that case right?

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024