My son needs a camera for 17 days - lend him one or buy one?

8 months 4 weeks ago #625952 by Don Granger
I'm on the fence with this one.  Normally I don't lend out my camera gear.  However my son as part of a school trip is heading down to South America to research rainforests.  He needs a camera.  I can't seem to make up my mind if I should lend him one, or just buy him one.  

This is a call a friend situation, would you lend or buy a new one for him?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 4 weeks ago - 8 months 4 weeks ago #625955 by Troponin

Don Granger wrote: I'm on the fence with this one.  Normally I don't lend out my camera gear.  However my son as part of a school trip is heading down to South America to research rainforests.  He needs a camera.  I can't seem to make up my mind if I should lend him one, or just buy him one.  

This is a call a friend situation, would you lend or buy a new one for him?

Perfect opportunity to rent one. They come with insurance that covers damage and theft. Just make sure to get it a little early just to make sure the lens/camera have no issues. I would consider an “easier” point and shoot camera if he’s not well versed in using professional cameras etc. There are a few really nice 20mp+ zoom cameras that would be perfect that for that trip. This allows him to do portraits and zoom in on wildlife. 

When you’re on trips like that, you’re usually on the go and need to pack light too. If I were taking my camera, I would only take two lenses anyway; 400mm and 35/50mm, but the 400mm only because wildlife IS life. 

Photo Comments

8 months 4 weeks ago #625957 by Don Granger
LOL even if I had a 400mm, there is no way I would send that lens off with my son.  

Renting is an option I overlooked.  Now if he accidentally drops the camera or something his fault, would the insurance cover the damages while out of country?  

This could be a good option, thank you for reminding me.  

Photo Comments

8 months 4 weeks ago #625958 by Troponin

Don Granger wrote: LOL even if I had a 400mm, there is no way I would send that lens off with my son.  

Renting is an option I overlooked.  Now if he accidentally drops the camera or something his fault, would the insurance cover the damages while out of country?  

This could be a good option, thank you for reminding me.  

I don’t want to give you bad info, so I first want to recommend you read their fine print, but if I remember correctly (I have rented a few times from Borrowlenses) and I remember there is insurance you can buy or waive that protects against additional things like being stolen, but I think the coverage you CAN’T waive is only for accidental drops etc. 

Photo Comments

8 months 4 weeks ago #625987 by garyrhook
Yeah, rent, with full insurance coverage.

Photo Comments

8 months 4 weeks ago #625992 by Don Granger
Borrowlenses here I come! 

Thanks gang, I really appreciate the advice here. 

Photo Comments

8 months 4 weeks ago #626180 by Deb Reardon
OMG, my kids would destroy my camera in that time.  Definitely either rent one, or buy something used from Craigslist for him. 

8 months 4 weeks ago #626233 by ShadowWalker
1000% rent or buy a cheap used camera 

Photo Comments

8 months 3 weeks ago #626271 by Steve Zahra
Hey Don, is your son into photography?  If so, get him a used DSLR.  If he isn't into photography, why not just shot with his iPhone or some sort of point and shoot? 

Photo Comments

8 months 3 weeks ago #626381 by Don Granger
Considering the cost of a rental for 17 days, I think I'll shop the used market and see what I can find there.  Just need to figure out if I go Nikon, Sony or Canon.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Daniil Kuželev on Unsplash The Tokyo police believe a pop star's fan found her by zooming in on a selfie the pop star...

Oct 11, 2019

The Nikon Z50 is set to be announced today, and indications are that it will be an affordable, entry-level option with a price around $850 for the body only.

Oct 10, 2019