Left or Right Eye Shooter?

5 years 2 months ago #632351 by Nikon Shooter
This week, in a master class on wildlife, a discussion popped-up.

Some of my students were very at ease with some instructions and,
for sure, others were not. I said nothing and let them figure out why.

Pretty soon, right eye shooters recognised their common difficulties.
Some had to learn about dominant eye, body posture and the right
way to set up their lens on their gimbals — important when using a
zoom lens.

I have two sons, a left eye (like me) and a right eye shooter,
  • What are you?
  • On which side of the lens is your gimbal?
  • How do you hold your combo when shooting?
  • Do you use VR?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632357 by Ottis
I'm a right eye shooter, and I will use VR if out and about with out my tripod.  I don't use a gimbal.  

What are you speaking about "combo"?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632358 by Nikon Shooter

Ottis wrote: What are you speaking about "combo"?  

Camera / lens combo! :)

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #632359 by GaryA
1) I use both eyes and often will keep them both open, all depending on the situation.  If I'm in a situation where there is a lot of action, say a riot or a football game, I will switch eyes depending on the direction of the action.  Say a football game, and the offense is moving from right to left, I'll shoot with my right eye and keep my left eye open watching for a linebacker or DB heading my way. When the offense is moving from left to right I'll switch eyes. I will mentally switch dominate eye back and forth from focusing on the job, then back to the other eye to make sure my destruction isn't emanate or immediate;

2) I've never used a gimbal;

3) See #2; and

4) I use IS. ;)

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #632365 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Yes mate - this is a good fun exercise in a workshop :)
I have a dozen toilet-paper inner tubes that I hand out with no instructions and wait to see who picks up and looks thru them ... and it's something to see the "odd-one-out" who picks up with right hand but uses left eye". Most of us a same-hand & same-eye dominant

This has been known about in the military for 'yonks years' - you can't have a rifleman holding it right handed but using left eye to sight down the barrel ... it ain't gunna work real well

Camera-wise for me ... it's right hand-right eye, which is lucky for me as I only have 25% vision in the left eye. Any future right-eye issues for me means the loss of just about everything I enjoy

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 2 months ago #632605 by Jeanne Merlo
I'm a right eye shooter and will use VR when it's needed.   I don't have a gimbal so can't comment on that.  I've tried shooting from my left eye before and it just feels weird.  

5 years 2 months ago #632607 by Shadowfixer1
Right eye shooter but left eye dominant. I really don't see how it matters since looking throught the viewfinder is mono vision anyway.
5 years 2 months ago #632839 by Robert Chen
Right eye shooter, and regarding VR, when needed as well.

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632883 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Right eye shooter but left eye dominant. I really don't see how it matters since looking throught the viewfinder is mono vision anyway.

It is, Randy, in mono vision that the dominance is better
revealed, observed.

I am a right hander and that's good for handling the gear
which is designed for right hander. I am also a left eye do-
minant and that explains the easier, more comfortable po-
sition at the long lens.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #634014 by Mason Latka
Right eye, VR when it's needed and I actually remember to turn it on.  I'll hold my camera with right hand on grip and left slightly under camera body and on lens adjustment ring.  I think that is what you were asking right?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #634015 by Mason Latka

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Right eye shooter but left eye dominant. I really don't see how it matters since looking throught the viewfinder is mono vision anyway.

It is, Randy, in mono vision that the dominance is better
revealed, observed.

I am a right hander and that's good for handling the gear
which is designed for right hander. I am also a left eye do-
minant and that explains the easier, more comfortable po-
sition at the long lens.

That is a beast of a lens there?  300 or 400?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #634174 by Joe Peterson
LOL I'm actually both.  Now granted there is a slight preference with my right eye.  I don't understand the connection with using or not using VR or IS to this question?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634438 by Nikon Shooter

Mason Latka wrote: That is a beast of a lens there?  300 or 400?

… a 600mm ƒ4!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024