Iceland vs Alaska for northern lights in July?

4 years 10 months ago #646677 by Paul Velasco
I'm going to do a photography trip in July and can't decide between Iceland and Alaska.  Those that have been to either of these, can you comment on how the northern lights would be for that time of the year.  

Which location would you head to?  From what I can see airfare will be much cheaper going to Alaska and I don't need to fuse with customs.  Iceland however will cost more to travel too, I will have to deal with customs, but SOOOO beautiful.  

Tough decision.  

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #646678 by Nikon Shooter

Paul Velasco wrote:  Iceland however will cost more to travel too, I will have to deal with customs, but SOOOO beautiful. 

Iceland all the way, Paul — specially the north american part in
terms of plate tectonic — if you are still in good physical shape.

Custom? Really? I had not problem of any kind. :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646682 by MM Images
+1 especially now, customs is all electronic, with a quick inspection of your passport by a human

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646683 by Paul Velasco
It's been a little bit, but all the times going through customs, I swear I get the reject customs officers that want to be a PITA with me.  And for the record, I don't have 'a-hole' stamped to my forehead either!  

4 years 10 months ago #646718 by MM Images
If you want Northern Lights, you should consider Norway also.  Less tourist, should be cheaper to travel too.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646795 by garyrhook
You do understand that July may very well be the worst time of year to see them?

www.theaurorazone.com/about-the-aurora/t...-the-northern-lights

That said, you say Alaska, but you don't mention where in Alaska, Iceland is farther north than most of the inhabited locations in Alaska, and is likely the better choice.

N.B. As an American, I can't go into Canada without them practically accusing me of trying to steal someone's job. But you don't specify which customs/country.... or do you mean coming back to the US?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646834 by Pete Franko
+1 agree, you'll want to get there towards September for Northern Lights.  And BTW, another vote for Iceland from me.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646868 by TGonzo
Man, I would go Iceland all the way.  Just too bad it's getting over crowded with tourist.  Alaska may be right there with coolness, but come on it's Iceland, your in another country, and IMO you have much more interesting landscapes to find there, which will make interesting segments for foreground interest when you find the Northern Lights. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646944 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: N.B. As an American, I can't go into Canada without them practically accusing me of trying to steal someone's job.

I just can't understand why… but you're the
first american I hear this comment from.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647010 by David Hutnik
Iceland has become so overrun with tourist, normally I would say yes all the way there.  However I would even suggest Finland as a nice alternative.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #647040 by donmammoser
You need to go Iceland as this country gives you the best experience to explore its natural beauty in July month. Also, here you can not only enjoy more discounts of hotels and ticket prices but also encounter the rare view of northern light.

4 years 10 months ago #647156 by Alex

MM Images wrote: If you want Northern Lights, you should consider Norway also.  Less tourist, should be cheaper to travel too.  

Agree!  I was just in Norway in Lofoten Islands in March... great spot for Northern Lights

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024