Ethical or unethical - baiting wild animals to photograph?

5 months 1 week ago #649292 by Tony Imaging
My wife and I went on a hike early this morning and we came across a pile of raw fish in the middle of the path.  We stopped because it was so out of the ordinary to see this here.  I started to kick the fish off the path and then 2 photographers came running out and started to ask why I was doing that.  Apparently they were off in the bushes hiding and placed the fish there to bait bobcats to photograph.  :blink:

Really?  They planted this stuff to lure in wild animals into this public path.  I don't know, I might be wrong, however I thought this was way unethical and could be harmful to the animals AND humans.  I argued the point, however these two photographers seemed to be lacking common sense. 

Let me get your opinion, do you feel this is right or wrong?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #649293 by garyrhook
Yes, it's unethical, and harmful, and selfish. I don't even approve of baiting birds, but that's just me.

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649296 by Tony Imaging

garyrhook wrote: Yes, it's unethical, and harmful, and selfish. I don't even approve of baiting birds, but that's just me.

Those two photographers mentioned that in their argument to me as well.  "other photographers bait birds all day long, how is this any different?".  

These photographers are good example of what is so wrong with people today.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649311 by Pete Franko
Those two are idiots.  I would have continued to kick the fish off the path.  If those animals get used to finding food there, and then a family is walking down the path and the animals bite the humans, the animals now get put down.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649315 by icepics
I think it's unethical. I don't think it's a good idea to bait birds either; if you start putting out bird seed you're supposed to continue with it because birds/animals will come back to that place. And as Pete posted about, it's dangerous to lure wild animals to a place where people frequent.

You know, if the path you were on is in a park or preserve etc., maybe you should call and report it. Then the park rangers/staff can keep an eye on that path and clear off any bait - and deal with the idiots with cameras (they can tell them they're not allowed to do that and/or kick them out).

Sharon
Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649319 by Pete Franko
And the sad part about it, many are baiting birds to get those head on shots.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649322 by Andy Gladwell

garyrhook wrote: Yes, it's unethical, and harmful, and selfish. I don't even approve of baiting birds, but that's just me.

:agree:   I couldn't agree more.  This gives photographers bad name.  

5 months 1 week ago #649325 by Sanford
Pin the fish to the back of their shirts and tell them to go for a run.  :rofl:

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649481 by Brody Kross
Bad eggs

5 months 1 week ago #649511 by Roger Lang
So wrong.  Hopefully the park ranger came by and got those two. 

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649548 by Wyrick Photography
Sad part, is that these animals will get comfortable and think it's OK to find food here.  They will run into a human, possibly attack the human, then get put down. 

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649640 by Tony Imaging
Glad to see everyone is on the same page. 

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649670 by Nathan D
Very wrong +1 on them getting caught by park rangers.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649753 by Moe
Very unethical

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #649769 by Studio Queen

Very similar words I would’ve used.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

How to sell used camera gear has changed a lot over the last decade. In this article, learn about the future of how to sell your used camera gear for maximum profits.

Dec 05, 2019

If you're starting a photography business, there are a few things you need to research before you open your doors. Tackle the tasks outlined here, and you'll be in better shape to build a successful business.

Dec 05, 2019

GoPros have been around for 15 years, and over the years, many unusual GoPro accessories have come to market. Have a look at some of our favorites.

Dec 05, 2019