I miss going into camera stores to test gear

4 months 2 weeks ago #649988 by Jackson Rieger
I'm totally enjoying the change of times with technology.  However one thing I miss is going into the camera store to test out a zillion camera bodies or lenses before making a purchase.  A couple buddies and I had a discussion about how we all have made recent purchases from reading reviews only.  When  the camera, lens or camera bag comes in the mail, that's the first time laying hands on such item. 

Kind of sad to see all the small mom and pop shops shutting down.  

Just saying. 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #649989 by Nikon Shooter

Jackson Rieger wrote: Kind of sad to see all the small mom and pop shops shutting down. 

I always encourage buying from your local store, even
when one must wait a few days for a special order; the
smaller shops can't hold everything.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

4 months 2 weeks ago #650002 by Kyle O
I would, if price was close and I didn't have to drive 100 miles to get to the store. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #650018 by Jackson Rieger
Sounds like someone needs a road trip to B&H!

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #650020 by Nikon Shooter
B&H is not really a family run local store… or is it?

Light is free… capturing it is not!

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #650023 by komeith
You could go into your local stores where they have the cameras on display and try them out to see which you like best, than ordering that same one for cheaper where you find it cheaper.
Its what I do.
Down in San Antonio, there is a Camera Exchange shop where i can test things out, see if there is something similar near you.

4 months 2 weeks ago #650147 by Finn
No it's not, it's a machine.  Far from family business. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #650188 by Fran Welch
Now i'm sure I'm a lot newer to photography than many of you, however I can see what you are talking about with many of stores I use to go to in other areas.   Now a good 75% of my shopping is done online.  Even with clothing, online retailers make it easy to try on or return for any reason. 

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #650285 by Chester Foster
I'm very happy with not having to deal with lines.  

4 months 2 weeks ago #650531 by Moe
Yeah, but it’s all about timing.  I just don’t have the time. But then again, if there was store close to me, that would make a difference. But as it is, I have to drive like 1.15 hours just to get to a store. Nope, online for me.  

Photo Comments

4 months 2 weeks ago #650556 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jackson

Agreed - yes over the past 50-years or so I have enjoyed wandering into the bricks 'n mortar shop and handling the goods, putting a 'new' lens onto the camera and testing it out there & then

Back in 2003-4 when I went from film to digital, it was critical to me to be able to hold each of the 3 contenders ... to find the one that fitted my fingers & eyepiece the best [they all had similar specs otherwise]

BUT this is great for city-slickers ... not country people

As I tour Downunder-land, I meet people who are 1000km from the state capital and maybe 400km from the largest town in the region that might have a camera shop - or a camera section within a chain store, and this makes it very difficult to choose what's 'best' ~ so other options need to come to the forefront

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 months 1 week ago #650731 by Duncan K
Road trip to B&H, good one!   For many that will be one heck of a drive.  

4 months 1 week ago #650767 by Ian Stone
Move to NY, you can walk to B&H or Adorama any day of the week.  Well most days!  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7 might be six years old, but it still has plenty of features that make it an excellent option for today's photographers. In this Sony a7 review, learn about this camera's essential specs and features, and how you can find one at a bargain price.

Nov 20, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

photo prints, how to print photos, photo printing tips, best photo prints, top canvas printers

Nov 20, 2019

If you're just starting out building a photography business, be sure to steer clear of these critical photography business mistakes.

Nov 20, 2019

The Canon EOS R has been out for about a year now, and has gotten some negative reviews by photographers. But I think it's a fantastic camera...a sleeping giant, in fact.

Nov 20, 2019

The Sony a7 might be six years old, but it still has plenty of features that make it an excellent option for today's photographers. In this Sony a7 review, learn about this camera's essential specs and features, and how you can find one at a bargain price.

Nov 20, 2019

It's time again to list off the best photography products of 2019 and the best photography services of 2019. See what companies knocked it out of the park this year!

Nov 20, 2019

Screenshot via YouTube video  We've all dealt with packages getting damaged, or worse getting stolen off of our front porch, especially during the...

Nov 20, 2019

Looking for a high-quality circular polarizer but don't want to bust your budget? Look no further than these three budget-friendly options.

Nov 19, 2019

There are many components to a landscape photography kit, and over the years, I've found that these items have proven their worth as the ideal tools for landscape photography.

Nov 18, 2019