Microphone help needed for shooting video

4 years 7 months ago #659208 by rocknife
Hello all, I have to shoot a video on a Canon 550d and Canon 600 (one is for close ups) I have 2 presenters and want to buy lapel mics for them but i have no idea what I need.  The product details all talk about transmitters and receivers but not sure how these figure - does the transmitter sit with the presenter and the receiver is on the camera?  If so will one receiver take the single from 2 transmitters?

Does anyone shoot this sort of video and if so what kit do you use?  I would like one that works wirelessly off the hotshoe but don't know if I can just buy two and they will work off the same hotshoe?  Or will they interfere?

Also do i need a powered mic (it came up in a review that a particular mic "would not work if you needed a powered mic".  so, anyone who shoots on Canon know if these need a powered mic?

4 years 7 months ago #659261 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659276 by garyrhook
"Powered" depends upon the mic, and has nothing to do with the recording device.

Most lavaliers do not require phantom power (a term you need to be aware of).

Yes, the TX is with the business end, on the person. The receiver is somewhere else, connected to a recording device.

That said, if you have two lavaliers, you're going to need to have two inputs on your recording device, or you're going to have to change out equipment between speakers. In a big room, you have a sound system providing amplification, and you take a feed from the board. If it's a small room, then the lavalier is the way to go, and wireless will be convenient. But you either have two mics, and change connections at your end, or use a mixer, or you move one mic from one speaker to other.

Given that you have two cameras, you can put one mic into each, but you'll lose room noise, which you might want.

Hot shoe... no. Most of these are going to use batteries, because they're not specific to cameras with hot shoes.

You can rent things you need, btw. If you want to buy, you can also consider the Rode Go, a newer, simple solution.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659762 by Gammill
+1 Go with the Rode Go.  Got mine and it's super small, easy to set up and use

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024