Issue when developing Black and White 35mm

4 years 7 months ago #660178 by LunaValRestrepo
i everyone! 

I have started developing my own 35mm films in my bathroom thanks to a manual and to your help in the forum. 

I had however a very bad experience where I ruined my film. However I checked several times the several steps and calculations and cannot understand why it happened. 

Is it possible for you to review my steps? It would be a marvelous help for me!

Here it is: 

Developer : Rodinal
- 1+25 = 580/26 = 22.3ML + 557.7 ML
- 7 minutes
- 20 degrees Celcius. 
Stop Bath: Ilfostop
- 1+19 = 580/20 = 29ML + 551 ML. 
Fixator: Kodafix
- 1+3 = 580/4 = 145ML + 435ML.
Wetting Agent: Ilford Wetting Agent
- two caps. 
Film: Film Washi Z 400
Tank: Two Reels Patterson Tank Universal. 

1. Be in the total darkness + changing bag. Cut the bait and place the film in the spire. Cut the end. Put the film in the spire in the bottom of the tank with the second empty spire on top. Close the tank. Turn on the light with the tank closed. 

2. Pre-wash bath.
- Agitate tank during 30 seconds.
- Wait for 30 more seconds and empty water.

3. Developer
Agitate during 30 seconds and then agitate every 1/2 minutes. Empty developer. 

4. Stop Bath.
Wait a few seconds before closing down. Let it 20 seconds and empty.

5. Fixator.
30 seconds of agitation and then 10 seconds of agitation every minute. Empty.

6. Washing Bath. 
- Prewash: 10 agitations and empty.
- 5 revearsals and empty.
- 10 revearsals and empty.
- 20 revearsals and empty.
- 30 revearsals and empty.
- fill with demineralized water and wetting agent, reverse 5 times and empty.

7. open the tank and take out the film with the help of a clip and dry.

I have found these informations with my manual, the forum, the Dev Chart, the data sheets. 

My film turned out completely white...

Thank you so much, so much, so much, if you could review my notes... I am kind of lost here.

4 years 7 months ago #660215 by effron
Did you begin with fresh film? Also, I haven't processed film in well over a quarter century, but it seems you're going through more steps than I used to.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #660233 by fmw
If by "white" you mean clear and translucent, then the film was underexposed.  If you mean the film is opaque with a whitish emulsion side, then the film wasn't developed.

Be sure your developer is diluted properly.  Load the tank in complete darkness.  Pay attention to development and agitation time and temperature.  No need for a stop bath.  You can go from the developer to fixer directly.  The acetic acid stop bath is used in printing to extend fixer life.  When the fixing step is complete you can open the tank and wash the film.  If you don't see negatives then something went seriously wrong either with the initial exposure of the film development process.

I have developed thousands of rolls of black and white film over the years.  I have had a few mistakes along the way such as film touching itself in the tank but, basically, it is a trouble free, simple process.  E6 color transparency developing is quite a bit more complex but pretty fool proof as well.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #660242 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day LVR

Beauty! you are giving it a go - well done :)

Firstly - ALWAYS examine the factory produced text along the sprocket holes ... if the developing process was 'correct' then the makers details and frame numbers will be clearly outlined in [almost] black. If you have black text, then your developing was good. If there's nothing there - or very feint, then you have a problem

2) Developing steps ...
= abandon the pre-wash - there is no good reason for this
= chemical mixing- seems quite okay, presuming chemicals are fresh
= agitation needs to be 'gentle' ... 3 or 4 reverse-agitations in first 30 seconds then one only gentle agitation each half minute. Too vigorous agitation will cause streaks from side-to-side matching each sprocket hole
= final washing ... far too much effort here ~ try a total of 3-4 changes of water over about 8 minutes. Drinking quality tap water will do - you do not need expensive bottled water. Can be done using continuous agitation

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #660679 by LunaValRestrepo
What do you by fresh film? Are you talking about the temperature or do you refer to the date of its creation? I took it and stored it in the fridge and took it out for the night before developing it. It is a film that I have bought 2 months ago so I don't think it was expired...

4 years 6 months ago #660680 by LunaValRestrepo
Thank you Efmw for your answer.

Following your comment, my film had to be underdeveloped. However I checked my calculation and everything seems right. Maybe is there a problem with my agitation process?

Thank you so much for your advices as well, it is super helpful!! 

4 years 6 months ago #660683 by LunaValRestrepo
Thank you so much Ozzie_Traveller for following this process along with me again.

I have checked and the borders do not appear so the problem seems to be during the developing following your comment.

Is it okay to agitate with the black tube that comes with the Patterson Universal Tank ? That's what I did. Also I recently bought my chemicals so they are quite fresh.

Thank you so much for the other advices that I will soon apply. Maybe you understand why I've got this result?

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #660794 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day matey

Something is not quite right here and it seems that it's back to Sherlock Holmes days :)

Take the film leader - the bit that is cut off and chucked in the bin - and in daylight, in a bowl on the kitchen table, place the film leader into a small amount of mixed ready-for-use film developer and leave it there for 6 to 8 minutes. Then a qwik rinse under the tap and into a second bowl of fixer for 2 to 4 minutes then a second rinse under the tap

The film leader should be a rich black from end to end and side to side. Presuming that it is, your chemicals are okay. Keep the chemicals for use on a 'real' length of film - later that day or within the next 48 hrs

You also mention 'agitation' via the black tube attachment. Yes that's okay - stick the tube into place and use it to twirl the spool/s below.

I personally used the up-end and rotate the whole tank method ... Obviously with the grey plastic lid firmly on the top of the developing tank, once only, and each 1/2-minute I would gently rotate the tank upside down, return it to the right-way-up and place it onto the bench with a small 'tap' to dislodge any possible air bubbles clinging to the film surface

Hope this helps

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024