Did Sony knock Nikon out of the number 2 spot?

4 years 6 months ago #660802 by Greg Friedman
Random question.  Is Sony now the number 2 size camera maker in the world behind Canon?  Pushing Nikon to number 3?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660803 by garyrhook
Based on what metric?

And, frankly, who cares? Why is that important?

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660823 by michaelsmith
No, Canon is still Number 1 and Nikon still number 2. 
However camera sales have been dropping badly over past few years :(

4 years 6 months ago #660831 by effron

michaelsmith wrote:  
However camera sales have been dropping badly over past few years :(

Not badly, it got over saturated. Most manufacturers are making gear that lasts now, we aren't seeing upgrades that we all must have...maybe just pros. Also, many are awaiting the mirrorless releases. 
Sony is a major player and much bigger than Canon if all product is counted. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660923 by Greg Friedman

garyrhook wrote: Based on what metric?

I was wondering, that's why.  Is there a problem with my question?  

Just wondering, as I said "RANDOM question".  I've been reading about Sony kicking ass, and then I seem to recall hearing something about Sony taking Nikons number two position.  While I get it, Sony has something like a  8-10 year head start in the mirrorless market.  Which seems to be the direction the market is turning.  So Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.  Canon most likely has enough market share buffer to still hold the number one spot while they get their butts in gear.  Nikon if what I seem to recall hearing doesn't.  So if this was correct, they would have slipped to number 3.  

Very relevant question, that I was curious about.  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660938 by garyrhook

Greg Friedman wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Based on what metric?

I was wondering, that's why.  Is there a problem with my question?  

Just wondering, as I said "RANDOM question".  I've been reading about Sony kicking ass, and then I seem to recall hearing something about Sony taking Nikons number two position.  While I get it, Sony has something like a  8-10 year head start in the mirrorless market.  Which seems to be the direction the market is turning.  So Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.  Canon most likely has enough market share buffer to still hold the number one spot while they get their butts in gear.  Nikon if what I seem to recall hearing doesn't.  So if this was correct, they would have slipped to number 3.  

Very relevant question, that I was curious about.  

No, of course there's nothing wrong. But even random questions can have a precipitating event: an article, some report, a commentary in a blog, etc. Asking "why" is also an effort to seek clarity in the question, because a simple question isn't always so clear. In this case, define "number 2 spot"? (You can consider that somewhat rhetorical, if you like.)

Nikon produced a line of mirrorless cameras for quite a while (recall the Nikon 1) that could be reasonably assumed to play into the technology of the Z. Canon's M series, same thing. I'm not sure claiming an 8-10 year lead is accurate? But I'm not going to go research that. A comment above points out that Nikon is still in second place.

Given what is happening with (serious) cameras (by which I mean anything with interchangeable lenses) my biggest concern is the overall health of the company, not market share. I figure that, given my age, I'll not have anything to worry about before i get to the point I can no longer make a photo.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660979 by Ottis
Did you guys try the Nikon 1 J1 and J5 are the ones I remember.  I didn't like how they felt.  I have big hands and these were a no go for me.  Saw at the Photo Plus show in NYC.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661050 by ThatNikonGuy
1. Canon
2. Sony
3. Nikon

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661244 by Crammer
I bet we are going to see a huge leap from Canon during next 12 months.  Some of the rumor sites have some sound thoughts on where Canon is going.  From recent filed patents to comments CEO has made.  All you Canon boys and girls have some new toys coming to your market soon.   Apparently there is a big upgrade coming to the EOS R as well. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024