Did Sony knock Nikon out of the number 2 spot?

2 months 3 days ago #660802 by Greg Friedman
Random question.  Is Sony now the number 2 size camera maker in the world behind Canon?  Pushing Nikon to number 3?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 days ago #660803 by garyrhook
Based on what metric?

And, frankly, who cares? Why is that important?

Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #660823 by michaelsmith
No, Canon is still Number 1 and Nikon still number 2. 
However camera sales have been dropping badly over past few years :(

2 months 3 days ago #660831 by effron

michaelsmith wrote:  
However camera sales have been dropping badly over past few years :(

Not badly, it got over saturated. Most manufacturers are making gear that lasts now, we aren't seeing upgrades that we all must have...maybe just pros. Also, many are awaiting the mirrorless releases. 
Sony is a major player and much bigger than Canon if all product is counted. 

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #660923 by Greg Friedman

garyrhook wrote: Based on what metric?

I was wondering, that's why.  Is there a problem with my question?  

Just wondering, as I said "RANDOM question".  I've been reading about Sony kicking ass, and then I seem to recall hearing something about Sony taking Nikons number two position.  While I get it, Sony has something like a  8-10 year head start in the mirrorless market.  Which seems to be the direction the market is turning.  So Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.  Canon most likely has enough market share buffer to still hold the number one spot while they get their butts in gear.  Nikon if what I seem to recall hearing doesn't.  So if this was correct, they would have slipped to number 3.  

Very relevant question, that I was curious about.  

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #660938 by garyrhook

Greg Friedman wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Based on what metric?

I was wondering, that's why.  Is there a problem with my question?  

Just wondering, as I said "RANDOM question".  I've been reading about Sony kicking ass, and then I seem to recall hearing something about Sony taking Nikons number two position.  While I get it, Sony has something like a  8-10 year head start in the mirrorless market.  Which seems to be the direction the market is turning.  So Nikon and Canon are playing catch up.  Canon most likely has enough market share buffer to still hold the number one spot while they get their butts in gear.  Nikon if what I seem to recall hearing doesn't.  So if this was correct, they would have slipped to number 3.  

Very relevant question, that I was curious about.  

No, of course there's nothing wrong. But even random questions can have a precipitating event: an article, some report, a commentary in a blog, etc. Asking "why" is also an effort to seek clarity in the question, because a simple question isn't always so clear. In this case, define "number 2 spot"? (You can consider that somewhat rhetorical, if you like.)

Nikon produced a line of mirrorless cameras for quite a while (recall the Nikon 1) that could be reasonably assumed to play into the technology of the Z. Canon's M series, same thing. I'm not sure claiming an 8-10 year lead is accurate? But I'm not going to go research that. A comment above points out that Nikon is still in second place.

Given what is happening with (serious) cameras (by which I mean anything with interchangeable lenses) my biggest concern is the overall health of the company, not market share. I figure that, given my age, I'll not have anything to worry about before i get to the point I can no longer make a photo.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #660979 by Ottis
Did you guys try the Nikon 1 J1 and J5 are the ones I remember.  I didn't like how they felt.  I have big hands and these were a no go for me.  Saw at the Photo Plus show in NYC.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #661050 by ThatNikonGuy
1. Canon
2. Sony
3. Nikon

Photo Comments

2 months 1 day ago #661244 by Crammer
I bet we are going to see a huge leap from Canon during next 12 months.  Some of the rumor sites have some sound thoughts on where Canon is going.  From recent filed patents to comments CEO has made.  All you Canon boys and girls have some new toys coming to your market soon.   Apparently there is a big upgrade coming to the EOS R as well. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

The Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L is one of the holy trinity of lenses every photographer needs to have. Does it stand up to its huge price tag? Let's find out!

Nov 22, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

"Turn a precious moment into a viral sensation," touts the "Birthie" stick, which doubles as stirrups for your labor and a selfie...

Dec 04, 2019

There are some great Cyber Monday deals going on right now for photographers. Get new gear at deep discounts today!

Dec 02, 2019

Continuous light sources like video lights can be an excellent lighting solution for portraits. Take a look at these helpful portrait lighting tips using on-camera video lights.

Dec 02, 2019

Do you have questions regarding circular polarizers? We have the answers in this quick primer.

Dec 02, 2019

Photo by Rik van der Kroon on Unsplash One of my fondest memories was being woken up by my father in the middle of the night as...

Nov 28, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

If you're sick of trying to print your photos at home, follow this photo printing advice and learn how to print photos with professional labs to get the best results.

Nov 27, 2019