Battery Life... just never seems to be what they claim

4 years 4 months ago #667532 by Nefarious
Does it ever seem like quoted battery life expectancy isn't what the manufacture claims?  I've noticed this especially on two cameras, three actually.  

1. Sony a6300
2. Insta 360
3. GoPro

All of these cameras get no where near what each manufacture claims.  

Kind of annoying. 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667568 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

The battery is supplying power to ALL the camera's electronics, and frame-count will vary considerably depending upon what you are asking of the electronics. Maybe lots of 'point-&-shoot' holiday snaps from a vehicle will give quite different results compared with a sports event where the camera's AF is constantly seeking new opportunities (shall we call them)

For me running mirrorless / bridge units with full EVF, I'm getting about 350 images per battery charge ~ but at times when the camera is doing fixed-focus interval shooting stuff, it extends out to 450 images

Like many other things in life - you get used to it, and work with it

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 4 months ago #667600 by Scott Klubeck
Never paid much attention to the EXACT number of shots my camera takes each time I charge my battery.  Sorry no help.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667614 by effron
One should never expect manufacture claims on battery life. That being said, I'm still shooting with my original EL15's, a couple which are over six years old and I rarely need to cycle them in a days use. 
Get spares....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667682 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Another side to this thread is that many claims by manufacturers of various products leave something to be desired. For example - my laser printer cartridge claims 2000 pages, but i'm lucky to get 1200-1300 before the toner runs out.

So whether it's fuel economy with a vehicle or pages one gets from a laser printer toner cartridge or battery life for us here ~ often the stated / alleged performance is more than many people get much of the time

4 years 4 months ago #667719 by Nikon Shooter
Marketing is based on greed — and the art to sell at
the highest price in the shortest time.

Technology and science are based on data and facts.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667770 by Pete Franko
+1 understatement 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024