These photos ended child labor in the US

4 years 3 months ago #672920 by Fess Walker
Gotta love history.  I've heard of child labor, but had no idea of how bad it was.  Good story about how Lewis Wickes Hine was hired to photograph these kids, which would lead to the end of child labor.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672922 by Rob Conley
From slavery, women rights and child labor, how has the world changed for the better.  Photography has opened the eyes for so many causes.  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672924 by Nikon Shooter
This guy created a very well made documentary. I went
from rage to compassion, from disgust to hope, and all
within 6 1/2 minutes. Very moving.

Thanks for sharing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672938 by effron
No rage here, it was what it was and got fixed.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672967 by Fess Walker
Yep, glad you all liked it.  I enjoy a good history lesson and figured others might as well.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672989 by MYoung
WOW eye opening

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673020 by Dave Burburry
Rough life for those kids, what the h*ll were people thinking back then??

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673037 by Nikon Shooter

Dave Burburry wrote: Rough life for those kids, what the h*ll were people thinking back then??

Though I understand the misery most people were going through,
— they possibly had not other solutions and the factory owners
were more than happy to oblige,  this doesn't make that acceptable
a bit in today's moral terms, social norms, etc. It was so.

No more is acceptable, today, the misery of a people where some-
one like A. H. could raise to power in the 1920's in Europe. Nor is it
for repression of ALL distinctive traits of the native people in Cana-
da during the last century.

I won't let the rage inspired by the documentary devour me — the 
past is the past — but I will always be in first line when it shall come
to the defence of the dignity of ALL living things.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673044 by effron

Nikon Shooter wrote: ...... I will always be in first line when it shall come
to the defence of the dignity of ALL living things.

If serious, you should find yourself very busy.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673046 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, but I operate only in my immediate neighbourhood.
I am working with abused children and wildlife protection
and that should be enough for one man.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673082 by H Rocky
Damn, bought times

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673106 by Moe
+1!!!

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673122 by Kenta
So sad.  This has me wondering, what photos of today will people from 100 years from now look at and make such similar comparisons?

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673159 by James L
Who knows.  I hate to bring up political, but I would bet we would likely see shots in that category. 

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #673160 by James L
Come to think about it, a 100 years from now?  I wouldn't be surprised if humans have colonized on another planet, so those 100 year back photos could be of life in general on 'Earth'.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024