GPS tracker for your camera gear?

4 years 2 months ago #676193 by Pete Franko
Have any of you tried one of those GPS trackers for your camera gear?  Something small that you can hide in your camera bag.  I photographer that I know who was just in NYC, had his entire camera bag stolen and he was feet away when it happened.  He was photographing the NYC skyline, his back to his camera for short time, and turned around and it was gone.  All he has left is his D850 and 24-70mm which were in his hands.  

This had me thinking about about finally getting one of those GPS trackers.  

Can you recommend the most reliable that you are aware of.  Something with iPhone app for real time tracking.   Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676218 by CharleyL
Sorry, but I have no suggestions for GPS Trackers, although it sounds like a great idea.

I always put my foot through the strap of my camera bag when it's on the ground and I'm taking photos in busy places, so they would have to pull me down to get it. I also always close and zip up the bag when it won't be in my sight (like when standing to shoot photos with my foot through the strap). I also wrap the camera strap around my wrist while taking photos, even while using it in my studio, because this helps prevent me from dropping the camera. Doing this as a habit also keeps someone from easily grabbing the camera out of my hands.  When standing on busses or subways, the bag or backpack is always placed on the floor with my foot through the strap too. This keeps the guy behind you from opening a bag pocket and steeling things. 

I've been in NYC many times with camera bags and camera back packs and I haven't had any problems with theft. Earlier in my life I lived less than  30 miles from NYC, so I was in the city quite often, but NY isn't the only place where this can happen. Always keeping aware of your surroundings, and keeping your gear well organized and within your control, make it difficult for the "grab and run" thief. Being a fairly large guy helps too. 

Charley

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #676220 by effron
If your friend had a tracker in his bag, he'd have lost that too. The best thing you can do in our big cities is NEVER take your eye off your gear. Even if it would track them, would YOU pursue? The cops wouldn't and that would leave you alone against the criminals involved. 
Easier to avoid NYC, or any other city where the thugs have more rights than the law abiding.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676221 by effron
Addendum, I hope he was insured.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676244 by garyrhook
A tracker in a bag?

That didn't work out so well in "No Country For Old Men", now, did it?

:rofl:

Seriously, though. No, Don't take the bag off, don't set it down, don't take your eyes off of it. Who does that in New York City?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676249 by Pete Franko
Well, I thought more would be using or considering using something like this.  I guess not.  

Yes it was, lucky for him.  

Thanks gang!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676452 by Tony Imaging

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676550 by Pete Franko
Ah cool, that is what I'm after thank you!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024