Ordering photography gear from China with Covid 19 concerns?

4 years 3 weeks ago #681824 by Chase Audate
I nearly forgot to post the question I came here today to ask.  

I recently ordered a reflector that was advertised on Facebook.  When I looked at my order confirmation email, it's coming from a company in China.  Now granted Covid 19 is all over the place already.   However there are something like 8 versions of it.  Would you have concerns about receiving something from China and Covid 19?

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #681839 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: I nearly forgot to post the question I came here today to ask.  

I recently ordered a reflector that was advertised on Facebook.  When I looked at my order confirmation email, it's coming from a company in China.  Now granted Covid 19 is all over the place already.   However there are something like 8 versions of it.  Would you have concerns about receiving something from China and Covid 19?

It will take a while to arrive. Once it arrives, open it up, place it in the garage/wherever for two weeks or so. Whatever timeframe is currently suggested for the lifespan of the virus on non-human surfaces.

And wash your hands after you do this.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #681850 by Shadowfixer1
Your chances of catching covid-19 is higher from the delivery guy than the package from China. The stuff on the package will be dead long before it reaches the final delivery point unless it's an express thing. I ordered ink the other day and put it in the garage for 5 days before handling it again. Just wash your hands with soap and HOT water. Do not sniff or lick the package and you will be good. :P
4 years 3 weeks ago #681856 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Do not sniff or lick the package and you will be good.

I think that's good advice at any time.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #681858 by Nikon Shooter
The virus has a "shelf life" of two to twelve days depending
on the surface it is sitting on. If the goods come by ship you
will be ok in any cases as it takes month(s) to arrive.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #681867 by Overread

garyrhook wrote:

Chase Audate wrote: I nearly forgot to post the question I came here today to ask.  

It will take a while to arrive. Once it arrives, open it up, place it in the garage/wherever for two weeks or so. Whatever timeframe is currently suggested for the lifespan of the virus on non-human surfaces.

And wash your hands after you do this.

+1 Quarantine your mail and packages, regardless where they came from. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024