"Slave" and "Master" terms removed from photography terms?

1 year 1 week ago #687487 by Don Granger
Well this was an interesting read.  I just read an article that was shared to me that suggested we need to remove "Slave" and "Master" from photography terms.  OK, I'm all for equality, but isn't this getting a little overboard?   https://petapixel.com/2020/06/06/its-time-to-end-the-terms-slave-and-master-in-photography/

There are so many industries that use these terms (think about hard drives) by all, regardless of color.  I have never meet a person of color who shared with me that they were offended by these terms.  

I don't know, I may be wrong, but I'm just sharing my opinion.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 week ago #687489 by Nikon Shooter

Don Granger wrote:  I have never meet a person of color who shared with me that they were offended by these terms.   

Me neither… I'm all with you on this.

Slave and master I never considered a race thing but 
an IT terminology and an "adult  role play" situation
IYKWIM!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687496 by Don Granger
I figured some would agree, just to far of a stretch.  I was talking to a good friend of mine this morning about this.  And he happens to be a very dark person of color.  Aside from him making a joke about it, he found zero offense about it and even mentioned that this was a stretch.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687498 by garyrhook
Um, no. That's ridiculous.

The term "slave" is used ubiquitously in computer engineering and other fields. It means someone's in charge, and that's it.

#againwiththeeyerolls

Couldn't resist. Posted a comment on the article.

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687508 by icepics
The article is one person's opinion and I'm not sure where Petapixel got it; they often rewrite or share info. that seems to be not much more than clickbait. The person who wrote the op-ed seems to be reading meaning into the terms differently than intended, and doesn't have to use those terms if she doesn't want. Not that other photographers will know what she's talking about if she calls those things something else, but that seems up to her.

Maybe there would be a better term than 'slave' but I think 'master' in particular has a variety of meanings and is used for a lot of things (a master list, a Master's degree, etc. etc.). Seems like a bit much to say it shouldn't be used in photography.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687510 by Juan Anthony
Huh?  No.  This is silly.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687516 by KenMan
Media is fueling all of this.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687517 by Nikon Shooter

KenMan wrote: Media is fuelling all of this.  

… and the time is just right? Bad move!

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687521 by Ian Stone
The world has gone mad.  Even if that was one persons opinion, why on earth would PetaPixel publish something like that?  

I'm tired of hearing about this racial crap, a cop shot a bad person who was high on drugs wrongfully.  The cop deserves what he has coming.  But do you know that more white people who are innocent are killed by cops each year than people of color?  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #687524 by Nikon Shooter
When I was a turbulent teenager, there was a joke running a-
mong us. "Why are there 2 cops in a patrol car in the city?
Because patrols must have a 9th grade of schooling!"

I am white, Canadian. and I never had an issue with race — an
other joke goes: "I hate everybody equally!"

If the actual commotion helps save people from abusive beha-
viour, this is what is needed. A man is killed, that makes it a vic-
tim. A black man (or other race) is killed, it is still a victim and
not a black victim. This is not, in my view, a racial problem but
a very bad societal one.

Granted, many communities have an history… and bad memories
but people are people and all should have the right to be treated
equally… it is in most countries constitutions.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

The Canon EOS M6 is four years old and has since been replaced with the M6 Mark II. But it's still a solid camera, particularly for beginners and vloggers.

Jun 08, 2021

The Canon EOS 60D is more than a decade old, but it still has plenty of punch left that makes it a solid and inexpensive camera for today's photographers.

Jun 07, 2021

The Canon EOS M3 is several years old now, and though it might have been overshadowed by other small, highly-capable cameras, its long-term value is evident in 2021.

Jun 05, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photo restoration serves a very important purpose in allowing us to preserve memories of days gone by - but that's just one reason why restoration is critical.

Jun 14, 2021

The Nikon D700 is pretty long in the tooth now, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't offer great specs and features for some photographers in 2021.

Jun 14, 2021

While the quality of the images you take is important, so too is the customer experience you give your photography clients. Get some tips on how to improve that experience in this guide.

Jun 14, 2021

Learning how to work remotely as a photographer requires a commitment to being organized, only taking the gear you need, and staying in touch with clients.

Jun 11, 2021

With these outdoor photography tips, you'll learn some tricks of the trade to get better images this summer.

Jun 09, 2021

Not sure how to fix bright sunlight in listing photos? In this guide, you'll learn quick and easy techniques to make your interior real estate photos shine.

Jun 09, 2021

With these crucial photography business tips, you'll learn methods of how to get more online reviews that will help improve your business' online reputation.

Jun 08, 2021

Learning how to use contrast in your photos is a key way to improve the quality of your images. Learn a few tricks for doing so in this guide.

Jun 08, 2021