EOS R5 over heating issue?

3 years 9 months ago #690470 by Carlos
I was going to order this camera and now seeing videos from, PT, Peter McKinnon, Jared Polin and now just saw a video from Tony Northrup telling to hold off on this camera.   Now I'll be mostly using this for photos, but would from time to time use it for video.  

I'm now on the fence about jumping onboard with this camera.  I suspect if there is a overheating issue, Canon would release firmware updates fast right?  

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690478 by Shadowfixer1
Twenty minutes of 8K or 25 minutes of 4K 60p at room temperature doesn't seem too bad to me. I would assume you are not going to try record a 2 hr Hollywood blockbuster in one continuous take. It seems like it would be fine. 
3 years 9 months ago #690480 by Patrick G
I think some are getting worked up over nothing solid.  The people who have these are protype cameras.  Anything else is just Canon giving a heads up.  I don't see there is justifiable reason to be concerned at this point.  Just my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690495 by Piechura
It was inevitable really. Their last set of mirrorless cameras have a crop when shooting 4K precisely because they would overheat otherwise. They were never going to be able to up it to 8K RAW or 4K 120 in 10-bit without it overheating. And to be fair to them, at least they've been honest about it.

I think it's less of an issue with the 4K 120, because let's be honest, you don't tend to do slow motion for an extended period. I get what Shadowfixer is saying about 20 minutes being fine for plenty of uses, but it's not like a recording limit. If you use it for 15 minutes and then stop shooting for 2 minutes, you won't then have another 20 minutes of shooting before it overheats because it's still hot from the first attempt.

I get the feeling that the 8K is more of a marketing thing and a technical exercise. But it's worth mentioning that even if you get rid of it, it's still a class-leading camera. What else are you going to buy that's better?

Also are you realistically set up to edit 8K or 4K 120? And if you are, is anyone going to be able to watch it? If you're using it for photos and the occasional video, then those flagship features probably aren't that important for you anyway. But I'd still wait for proper reviews so you can see if claims about shooting speed, etc, are correct. I thought the Fujifilm XT-4 looked incredible on paper, but when it came out, it had horrendous autofocus issues in video.

3 years 9 months ago #690558 by Uplander
Man, my marriage would be overheating if I dropped $3900 on a camera body!  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690593 by Sawyer
Well if there is an issue, we'll find out really fast in 2 weeks when all those pre orders come in. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690656 by Ted Helm
At this price point, and plus what is riding on this.  I can't imagine Canon would release something that has such heating problems.  Especially considering they have boosted so much PR at the video recording this thing is supposed to have.  I may be wrong, but that's my thoughts.   

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690711 by Raymond Z
Man, I want that camera so BAD!  Who cares about the overheating in video, I only want to use it for stills!  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690779 by Pete Franko
Many do.  I wonder how many actually pre ordered this pricey camera.  $4k is a lot of green, considering what is happening around the globe right now.  

My wife ordered one.  And honestly if I was a Canon guy, I would have too!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #690803 by Shadowfixer1
Look at it this way. What other hybrid camera out there will give you 20 minutes of 8K before overheating? How about none. If you want 8K, the the heat issue limitation is just something you will have to live with.
3 years 9 months ago #690931 by Eliffman
These ship in two weeks?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690959 by Piechura

Ted Helm wrote: At this price point, and plus what is riding on this.  I can't imagine Canon would release something that has such heating problems.  Especially considering they have boosted so much PR at the video recording this thing is supposed to have.  I may be wrong, but that's my thoughts.   

AFAIK the claims of overheating come from Canon's own literature. They are actually warning people about it.

3 years 9 months ago #690961 by Piechura

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Look at it this way. What other hybrid camera out there will give you 20 minutes of 8K before overheating? How about none. If you want 8K, the the heat issue limitation is just something you will have to live with.

It's a good point. If you want 8K then this is your only option outside of cinema cameras (and Black Magic have just announced a 12K one).

However, an issue might be how reliably it can do 4K too. If the A7Siii and the EOS R5 both have similar 4K specs, but one of them overheats more quickly, then that might be a good reason to buy the other, because 8K is such a niche requirement. Although obviously the R5 is more of a hybrid camera, whereas no-one will really be using the Sony for stills.

3 years 9 months ago #691060 by Number 7
Where in the world could you even watch 8k video?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #691214 by Cory J
I hope to get the R6.  The R5, before spending that much green, I would wait till Mark II version.  That way all the bugs will be worked out of it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024