Hawaii travel. Where to visit for 10 days

2 years 11 months ago #717000 by abhishek-cam
Hello,

I will be visiting Hawaii anytime from May till mid-September (any preference of month should I have?), for 10 days. I am browsing tons of posts on TripAdvisor and it looks overwhelming to me, as there are so many places, a lot of beaches. So can't figure, what are places I should skip and what I should not miss.
I will be going with family, so no long hikes and we are not fans of water sports.
So far, it looks like most folks suggest Kauai is a must. As I want to see 2 Island, I can't decide if the next one should be Maui or Oahu. Nothing is booked as of now, so I am flexible on it. Please suggest, which Island and placed you would suggest.

What kind of places I like - I loved Banff and Jasper, Black Forest of Germany, Switzerland Alps, Highway-1 of California.

I have Z6 with 24-70mm f/4, 50/85mm, and also 300mm PF. I guess primes will be less used, except shooting some family pictures. Also, I am thinking to get UWA (14-30mm), if I get it at a good price.

Please advice.

Thanks

2 years 11 months ago #717021 by TCav
The big island of Hawaii has everything the other islands have plus active volcanoes, so that might be a good choice. (Wear shoes with leather soles. Rubber soles will melt.) It also has a brief skiing season, btw.

If you're looking for postcard type shots, Oahu is a good choice.

If you're looking for natural beauty, Maui and Molokai are good choices. Maui is smaller and more developed.

2 years 11 months ago #717023 by TCav
The more islands you visit, the more time you'll spend traveling and checking in and out of hotels. That can eat into your ten days.

2 years 11 months ago #717028 by abhishek-cam
I want to do a helicopter ride to Napali Coast, so Kauai was my preference.
Then it leaves me with the option of Big Island, Maui, and Oahu. I agree Big Island has everything, but this Island should need more days.
In your view, Oahu should give me more photographic opportunities than Maui? (I may not be a big fan of Road to Hana, so that is not a decision factor).

2 years 11 months ago #717073 by TCav

abhishek-cam wrote: In your view, Oahu should give me more photographic opportunities than Maui?

Oahu is more geologically diverse than most of the other islands, and so has a greater diversity of photo opportunities, but it is also the most developed of the islands.

2 years 11 months ago #717326 by Finn
Is Hawaii back open with out travel restrictions?  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717328 by abhishek-cam
As of now, we will need to take Covid negative test, within 72 hours of departure. And when we go to another island, again we need test of the negative report. 
I am hoping that it should relax by the time we go.
I am reading some possibilities that Mayor may give some flexibility like, vaccinated people can bypass test. But not confirmed yet.

2 years 11 months ago #717329 by Finn

abhishek-cam wrote: As of now, we will need to take Covid negative test, within 72 hours of departure. And when we go to another island, again we need test of the negative report. 
I am hoping that it should relax by the time we go.
I am reading some possibilities that Mayor may give some flexibility like, vaccinated people can bypass test. But not confirmed yet.

Any idea when that might get passed on vaccinated people?  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717330 by abhishek-cam
No idea. It is not even confirmed. It depends on Covid's situation in the upcoming days. People are just assuming, so far.

2 years 11 months ago #717331 by Finn
Well crossing fingers, we wanted to go a couple months ago, but decided not to because the of the restrictions.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717478 by CharleyL
Having spent some time on Oahu, there is plenty to photograph.

There are quite a few hiking trails up into the mountains, if you want to do some hiking. The Diamond Head trail and Koko Head trails will provide significant scenery. If not a hiker, you can drive up over the mountains to some great overlooks. Along the shore in Honolulu there are always ships, large passenger, freight, and yachts to photograph. In the Northeast area of the island near Wahiiwa are the best places to photograph surfing. Following the highway along the West or East shores will provide plenty of chances to photograph wild birds and the shoreline.  Then there is the boat trip to the Arizona Memorial and next to it's departure point, the Submarine Museum.

Near the North end of the island is a sugar cane farm and processing operation. A private airstrip on the North end of the island has skydiving on the weekends. Down the center of the island is a huge pineapple plantation. The shopping areas of downtown Waikiki are great for street photography, and the beaches at Waikiki Park are beautiful. The Lighthouse at the base of Diamond Head is also worthy of some great photographs.  You can't quite drive the entire perimeter of the island, as the Northwest corner is very rocky and rough with only a jeep trail through this area that is frequently closed, but the shore highway around the rest of the island is full of scenic places to photograph and plenty of lookout areas to stop at.

For those interested in war history you will find many old and abandoned WWII fortifications to explore along the shore and the Diamond Head trail goes up through an old lookout post that was carved into the ridge of the Diamond Head Cone above the lighthouse. A similar lookout is on Koko Head. You have to drive through a tunnel to get into the center of the Diamond Head Crater where there is a military area, plus the starting point for the trail. With all trail hiking, bring water, a snack, and a flashlight, since portions of the trails are frequently through caves and tunnels. 

Charley

2 years 11 months ago #717642 by H Rocky
I could use a Hawaii vacation!  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717880 by Overread
Did you make it out there yet?

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717928 by abhishek-cam

CharleyL wrote: Having spent some time on Oahu, there is plenty to photograph.

There are quite a few hiking trails up into the mountains, if you want to do some hiking. The Diamond Head trail and Koko Head trails will provide significant scenery. If not a hiker, you can drive up over the mountains to some great overlooks. Along the shore in Honolulu there are always ships, large passenger, freight, and yachts to photograph. In the Northeast area of the island near Wahiiwa are the best places to photograph surfing. Following the highway along the West or East shores will provide plenty of chances to photograph wild birds and the shoreline.  Then there is the boat trip to the Arizona Memorial and next to it's departure point, the Submarine Museum.

Near the North end of the island is a sugar cane farm and processing operation. A private airstrip on the North end of the island has skydiving on the weekends. Down the center of the island is a huge pineapple plantation. The shopping areas of downtown Waikiki are great for street photography, and the beaches at Waikiki Park are beautiful. The Lighthouse at the base of Diamond Head is also worthy of some great photographs.  You can't quite drive the entire perimeter of the island, as the Northwest corner is very rocky and rough with only a jeep trail through this area that is frequently closed, but the shore highway around the rest of the island is full of scenic places to photograph and plenty of lookout areas to stop at.

For those interested in war history you will find many old and abandoned WWII fortifications to explore along the shore and the Diamond Head trail goes up through an old lookout post that was carved into the ridge of the Diamond Head Cone above the lighthouse. A similar lookout is on Koko Head. You have to drive through a tunnel to get into the center of the Diamond Head Crater where there is a military area, plus the starting point for the trail. With all trail hiking, bring water, a snack, and a flashlight, since portions of the trails are frequently through caves and tunnels. 

Charley

Thanks a lot Charley. Very helpful tips

2 years 11 months ago #717930 by abhishek-cam

Overread wrote: Did you make it out there yet?

Not yet.
I am waiting to see any indication, when they will allow travel based on just vaccination, instead of testing at each airport. Want to avoid that hassle. Probably, I will make it in August or September.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024